What's new

DVD Audio Question.... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I plan on investing on a DVD Rom Burner sometime this year(Hoping Creative comes out with one since that's the brand I'm familiar with), but I've got a question....
I'm assuming a DVD Burner acts just like a CD Burner as far as creating Audio goes. You drag and drop a wav file onto the DVD, Burn it, pop it into a DVD player, and off it goes.
But here's my question. Do they make car CD players that play DVD Audio discs? This may seem kind of strange, but I create Audio CD's of my favorite TV Shows and movies for listening on long 2 hour Jersey Shore Car trips and other flights. Some of you may have heard Mumm-Ra from Thundercats coming from my car speakers whilst stuck in a traffic jam last year :).
But the problem is, the new car has no tape deck, so I've been stuck using regular CDr's. With tape, you can fit 6 eps per tape, but with CDR, it's more like 3.5, wich means twice the amount of CD's compared to tapes.
I would love to convert all this stuff to DVD audio, where I can probably fit 12 per disc, but it's not worth investing into if I can't even play it in the car.
Thanks!

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'm assuming a DVD Burner acts just like a CD Burner as far as creating Audio goes. You drag and drop a wav file onto the DVD, Burn it, pop it into a DVD player, and off it goes.

NO! DVD-Video and DVD-Audio has to be AUTHORED. You can't build DVD-Audio or video by doing a drag-and-drop. That only works when making DVD-ROM. If you're doing DVD-Video or DVD-Audio, a lot of different things have to happen in the right order for a DVD player to see it. I do DVD-Video work and it's not easy. Apple makes it LOOK simple, but down deep, it really isn't.

Your best bet right now, if you have a lot of content, is to get a portable MP3 player like Apple's iPod (best HD-based MP3 player but you need a Mac). This way you can just make your own MP3s and store 150 hours of it.

I don't know if there are car DVD-Audio players, but even if they did make them, you have a lot of work ahead of you to get the discs made. Not worth the trouble. Also, blanks are $5 each.

Mike

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
There are car DVD-Audio players (actually I've only seen one in the Crutchfield catalog), but Mike is right. DVD-Audio must be authored, and blanks and drives are expensive. As others have said, MP3 is a better solution for now.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hmm, since I know absoulty nothing about MP3 authoring, assuming it can be done on a standard CDR/W drive, can anyone point me to a MP3 for Dummies page? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks