DVD-Audio Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gareth, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Gareth

Gareth Stunt Coordinator

With the limited number of titles out there, can anyone recommend a good DVD-A disk to push my system around? I just got the RP-91K and would love to listen to a disk in DVD Audio DTS.

Went to Best Buy and they had a dismal selection. Also, found that its very hard to find out what titles are released. If anyone knows where to find good deals on these babies just yet online, that would be great too.

I know this is not a true hardware post, but figured you guys who bought DVD-Audio players would have pushed them around by now.

Cheers,

Gareth

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Well first off. DTS is not DVD-Audio.
    Now that that's clear, here are a few titles you might want to check out. Online, DVD Planet http://www.dvdplanet.com has a decent selection of titles....
    Here's a few worth pursuing:
    Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band Swinging for the Fences
    Bucky Pizzarelli Swing Live
    Beethoven's 6th Symphony/Respighi Pines of Rome (on AIX records)
    Fleetwood Mac Rumours
    Blue Man Group Audio
    Boz Scaggs Dig Deluxe Limited Edition has CD and DVD-A.
    Glen Phillips Abulum
    There are quite a few others, and my list changes nightly depending on what I type at any given time.
    Regards,

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

There are a few threads about DVD-Audio in the Music forum. You'll find plenty of suggestions there, as well as some web sites with more info.

4. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

5. Bernard Drapeau

If you like «style», «Metallica» (the black album) will shake your house...

6. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Michael,

Check on a firmware upgrade for the A-10, I wonder if it's a problem because the disc (supposedly) has DVD-ROM content.

I have no problem playing this back on my Onkyo DV-S939 and hope to have a different DVD-A player in soon to play with.

Regards,

7. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

John,
    I called Technics/Panasonic regarding a firmware update - and they are going to research it and get back to me. So thanks for the tip.
    Basically, though, this was the only DVD-Audio disc (Boz Scaggs - Dig) that refused to play, and I have over 40 DVD-Audio discs. (It always started up fine and showed as a DVD-Audio disc, and the display ticked off 39sec (with no sound) before stopping - just as if I pushed the stop button - which I did not). I don't think I will go out of my way to get a firmware upgrade on the DVD-A10 for just this one disc, especially if it means bringing it in for service and being without the player for a number of weeks. [​IMG]
    I am not sure if there is any DVD-ROM content on the DVD-Audio disc, but the CD that comes in that set does have CD-ROM content. I was able to play the Boz Scaggs in Dolby Digital on both the Technics DVD-A10 and my other 2 DVD-Video players - so it is definitely an issue with the DVD-Audio content and the DVD-A10.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Gareth, here are my favorite DVD-Audio discs sonically:

Fleetwood Mac Rumours

Metallica Metallica

Steely Dan Two Against Nature

These discs sound great, and the music is first-rate also. There are a number of other DVD-Audio discs that I like for the content (e.g., The Doors L.A. Woman), but that aren't as good sonically.

9. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I've just started using my Panisonic 91 & purchased Bare Naked Ladies and Paul Simon. I've spent a good bit of time listening to BNL & have really enjoyed the significant improvement over CD and DVD-Video.

I recommend both DVD-A's.

10. Matthew G Hetman

Matthew G Hetman Auditioning

Michael_T, I too have the same DVD Audio player and would be very interested in anything you find out about an upgrade. So far I haven't encountered any disks that would play on my A10 and I am very happy with it so far. I have about a dozen DVD Audio disks.

11. Tom Morgan

Tom Morgan Stunt Coordinator