What's new

DVD-Audio question (1 Viewer)

Kevin Sk

Grip
Anyone out there have the eagles hell freezes over in dvd-audio? I have the regular dts-dvd concert, and cant seem to find info ANYWHERE on whether the dvd-audio has a higher resolution playback, or is it just the same thing without video. I would buy it if its 96/24, but whats the point if its the same as the concert vid?? Any input is appreciated!

Kevin Sk

Grip
Craig, it does exist, because I had it in my hand in best buy, but it doesnt say the resolution. I see its 24 bit, but I'm wondering if its 96/24, as the dts dvd video is not.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
In a way Craig is correct.

It is not a DVD-Audio disc, it is a DTS 5.1 Music Disc. It only has a Digital DTS track, there are no other tracks on the Disc. Here is the description from DTS' own site:
http://www.dtsentertainment.com/sell...c=710215100623

A true DVD-A disc will have an MLP 5.1 track (DVD-A), possibly a PCM 2 Stereo track, and may have a DTS encoded 5.1 track as well. The Hell Freezes Over DVD (not the DVD-V) is definately DTS 5.1 at 24 bits.

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
Actually it isn't even a DVD at all. It's an DTS CD. It has the DTS encoded in such a way that it can be read by a CD player. If you play it, make sure your receiver is set manually to decode DTS. Unlike DTS DVDs, DTS CDs can't tell you receiver "incoming DTS".

This disk predates DTS' 96/24 DTS encoder, so it won't be DTS 96/24.

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
Lance,

That Surcode software look s pretty cool and the DVD DTS version is even better. You could probably put several CD's worth of DTS encoded music on one DVD.

But what do you use to break up the mix of a song so you have six channel mix for 5.1 DTS? You would to at least need to seprate the vocals from the music and then be able to create ambiance reverb for the surrounds from the music portion. Then be able to pull out the low bass for the sub channel.

I know it would be very expensive but would be fun if one could re-mix their CD collection in to 5.1 DTS, DVD-A or SACD.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, Hell Freezes Over does not exist on DVD-Audio, so you did not have it in your hand. ;)

Kevin Sk

Grip
Keith, maybe the technical term is dts music disc, but it is often sold as a dvd-audio, and it was in the dvd-audio section at best buy. And I'd really like to know the resolution of the disc.

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
There are both types of disks, audio only DTS CD's and and audio only DTS DVD's

Amazon lists "Eagles hell freezes over" as a DVD not CD, see here:

Eagles

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
The correct term would be DTS CD *NOT* DVD-Audio, since a DTS CD is *NOT* a DVD-Audio disk. Technical or otherwise.
If you really want to nit pick, a DTS CD is NOT a CD. A CD is a Redbook CD. A CD which is encoded with a DTS bitstream and lacks a Redbook layer is a completely different animal.

And I would agree that it sure as hell can get confusing looking through Best Buys Hi-Rez section, because they stock real DVD-A (some of which are from DTS) and SACD along side these DTS Music discs, which are not strictly speaking, hi-rez, since they still employ a lossy compression scheme. They may use more bits and a higher sampling rate than standard DTS, but they are still lossy.

BGL

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I bought the Queen night at the Opera DTS DVD acouple of weeks back. I was always impressed with the 5.1 DTS CDs which I have maybe 7 -9 of in my collection.
I was not impressed by the sound quality of the Queen disc at all. My question is: I am playing it on a Sony DVD player which does not support DVD- A. Am I getting a low resolution output because of my player or is it not the greatest disc?

BTW are there SACD DVD Audio onlly players?

Kevin Sk

Grip
Grant, there are several dvd-audio/sacd combo players out now. Denon has the dvd-2900 which is the player I would go with, in fact, when the price comes down a bit, it will be my next player. As for a night at the opera, reviewers at digitalaudioguide.com gave it an average of 4.4 out of a possible 5, based on 32 reviews. It seems you are suffering from not being able to play the higher resolution music supported by dvd-audio players. I have queen greatest video hits volume 1 in dts 96/24, it plays on regular dvd players, and is the BEST sounding regular dvd I have ever heard, with the exception of hell freezes over, which is close, but I still think queen in dts 96/24 is amazing. I highly suggest you pick that up if your a queen fan. Its a 2 disc set.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I have Queen's ANATO and I was impressed with the DTS 96/24[though my Pre/pro "downsamples" it to 48/24]compared it to the DVD-A tracks.Don't forget this album was recorded in 1975.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Thanks
I have a couple clapton dts cds and mccartneys venus & mars dts cd which were recorded about the same time and they sound much better than the queen.
i must be getting the low quality feed.
sony is pushing sacd so they are acting like dvd-a dont exist.
took them years to pick up vhs....maybe they learned their lesson....NAH!

Kevin Sk

Grip
Grant, the reason sony is pushing sacd is because sony and phillps came up with the the idea, and they own the rights to it, where as dvd-audio is a standard, and its easier for companys to make the players to support it because its not owned by sony and phillips.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks