1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DVD-Audio question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joshua Moran, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

I have a DVD Audio ready receiver. My question is do I just have to hook up a DVD-Audio player with the 6 component cables to the back of the receiver? Or is there another decoder I have to buy? Also I have the digital audio out hooked up with an Toslink optical cable. Will this cause any problems or does the player just default to use component cables for both types of audio streams?

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Joshua,
    Unfortunately there's no hard and fast answer to the output question, as different players have slightly different behaviours.
    When playing back DVD-A to get its full resolution you MUST use the analog interconnects. If the digital output is active, it'll be a downsampled version of the output, which isn't desirable :-(
    When playing back DD/DTS (if your player has both decoders), it would be a function of the player -- some I have seen output digital and analog simultaneously, others only one or the other.
    Wish I could be more specific, and I'm not sure if I clarified a thing for you.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    You hook up 6 cables for the DVD-A sound to the 5.1 input. This is for DVD-A discs only. DVD-V will go out the digital ouput. You may have to activate the 5.1 input on your reciever/pre when Yo are to use it. I have to on my Marantz, but your's could be signal activated? Best wishes!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

4. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

thanks guys