What's new

DVD-Audio quality on Denon DVD-1200 vs. DVD-2200? (2 Viewers)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone compared DVD-Audio sound quality on the Denon DVD-1200 versus the DVD-2200? I am interested in a DVD-Audio player for a stereo system. There is no TV in the room, so video performance is not a concern. Furthermore, I have dedicated SACD players, so SACD is not needed in the new player. Also, I have several CD players in the system, so I'm not concerned with how the '1200 and '2200 compare with CDs. Finally, this is a stereo system, so surround-sound performance is not a consideration. So, how do the '1200 and '2200 compare with stereo DVD-Audio? Tweeter currently has the '1200 for $350 and the '2200 for $600. Given my needs, is the '2200 worth the extra $250? For what it's worth, I would be mating the player with an NAD C 350 stereo integrated amp and Energy e:XL 25 speakers. Thanks!

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if you have no tv monitor, you will have a very difficult time playing DVD-A since navigating the menu system is essential to play DVD-A.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Stephen, I have a Denon DVD-3800 in my main system with a TV. I use the TV on occasion but find that I can navigate many discs without it. That said, I do have a 13" TV lying around that I could hook up in the second system to go with the new DVD-Audio player. What I really meant to say was that the new player ('1200 or '2200) would not be used in a home-theater system for movies, so picture quality is not really a concern.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
As I think about it more, I am leaning towards the '1200. I think the '2200 is more than I need. The system is mid-fi, as I have a $350 integrated amp and $550 speakers. It is true that some of the front-end components in this system are more expensive than the amp and speakers, but I play CDs and SACDs constantly. At present, I have around 25 DVD-Audio discs, so I just need a capable DVD-Audio player. Again, the '2200 is nice, but I think it's overkill. I don't need the SACD capability, and I feel like I would be spending the extra $250 to get a universal player that I don't need.

So, how is the '1200 with stereo DVD-Audio? It certainly is a small player that is practically weightless. That concerns me, as the power supply under the hood is probably pretty junky.

Users who are viewing this thread