What's new

DVD Audio-please help me (1 Viewer)

Greg Br

Second Unit
This may explain why my sub was not producing the volume that it did when using a calibrated dts signal, what is the best way to set sub volume, by ear?

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I set the sub with Avia then tweak it a little by ear. The discs sub levels vary so much I am constantly adjusting it though.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Greg, most likely this player has a built-in DD/DTS decoder. If that's the case, you'll find that when you switch to your 5.1 input on the Yammy, you'll be getting DTS or DD decoded by the player. So you should be able to calibrate using Avia with the player controls using the 5.1 input. Now for DD and DTS I'd recommend using the Yamaha, but calibrating via Avia should help you get balanced sound for DVD-A. If the player has test tones, those might be sufficient also.

Greg Br

Second Unit
I would prefer to use the yamaha, is there anything that is done to ensure the receiver is using its speaker settings for digital dvd playback?

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Just make sure you aren't using the 5.1 input. If your receiver is indicating DD or DTS, you're using it, not the player. The only reason to use the player's decoder is to adjust your speaker volumes with something like Avia so that they match when playing DVD-A, if it works that way. I'm not entirely certain that any speaker settings on the player will affect the DVD-A output. However if I remember right, with my Pan. RA60, when I hit certain settings like small speakers and no sub or no surrounds, it forced all my DVD-A to stereo mode. So its possible some of those settings will affect your DVD-A output.

Greg Br

Second Unit
The players have no effect on my speaker level, but I was still able to adjust the volumes using the receiver but have no clue as to the effectiveness of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks