DVD Audio-please help me

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Br, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

OK I got my cheap ass dvd audio player and I have enough questions to make a man sick, I guess I could have named this the help Greg thread, but what it is, is what it is.

First question, the DVD player I have, the JVC 80bk has a cool function that allows you to check the sample rate of the dvd audio, when I check this it says 96, which I assume is 96khz, but I thought these high resolution DVD's were at 192khz.

Second question, there are three ways to tell the dvd player how to make a connection to your pre amp, PCM, PCM/Stream, and Dolby Digital/PCM, best I can tell I should be using PCM/Stream as that is the only thing that mentions DTS in the manual.

Third question, the player came with the JVC sample disk that contains many kick ass songs, but I notice on some songs that the amp is not even getting a signal to push the subs, on songs like Lucky Man by ELP has no bass from the sub, but Plush by Stone Temple Pilots has some.

Fouth question, the big complaint about dvd-audio is a lack of bass, but could you not just crank up your bass higher(alot) more than normal?

Thanks, I appreciate anyone who can give me some input.

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Greg,

In response to your lengthy post (in order):

1) It depends on the recording. 96K is the limit for a surround recording. Some stereo tracks are 192K -- most are still 96K.

2) PCM/Stream gives you PCM, DD and DTS outputs, this is the best choice.

3) Some songs have a .1 channel, some don't. It's a recording choice. The JVC players have no bass management, so on a song without a .1 channel, the subwoofer is idle.

4) No. It won't affect a speakers inability to deliver low frequencies. If you mean turning up the subwoofer level, again no, especially on tracks that have no .1 channel.

Regards,

3. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

When looking to buy a dvd-a, is there a way to tell if you are getting a .1 track?

If I was to get a ICBM would this even help dvd-a's that do not have a .1 mix.

I will say one thing about dvd audio, it really exposes the weakness in your system.

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Greg,

Some of the DVD-A discs tell you the mixing format, others don't. The same is true of SACD...

Yes, an ICBM should resolve these issues for you.

Regards,

5. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

John,

So even though a DVD-A disk may not have a .1 track the ICMB can still take bass out of say the rear surrounds and redirect it to the sub and produce the bass, that is a pretty cool feature.

I have also been reading about a advanced resolution stereo track on many of the DVD-A disks but when I play a disk it usually just starts playing or on the menu there is no mention of this.

I am also assuming that unless you absolutely have to you should have all functions to downmix turned off in your player options?

In the JVC there is a feature to set your speakers size, will this have the same effect as the bass managemnet thatoccurs in my receiver that is now bypassed due to the 6 channel anallog inputs?

6. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Greg, the point of the ICBM is exactly what you said. It's essentially a crossover that works with several channels.

The settings in the JVC are irrelevant when it comes to playing DVD-A. Those would be used with the onboard DD and/or DTS decoders.

My Panasonic has the ability to tell me whether its 5.1 and 24/96 or whatever. Also, to switch to the stereo if its not on the main menu, you change using the audio button on the remote, or something similar. That may be specific to your manufacturer. I believe some discs allow the player to downmix to stereo and don't actually include the stereo track.

I hadn't heard of a lack of bass, just lack of bass management. There's no reason why DVD-A wouldn't have enough bass. That would be up to the sound engineers.

7. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Thats what I thought as well, I played Blue Man Group on DTS 5.1 and it absolutely rocked my subs, but that same piece of music on DVD Audio had no where near the punch, I am not sure if thats due to bass management or what but I would expect them to be similar.

I guess the ICBM order needs to be placed, along with 6 more cabled, wow thats a lot of interconnects.

8. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

9. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

This is kinda getting me concerned, when I play the DTS 5.1, my Samsons clip light flicks and my SVS are at their limits. With the DVD Audio it fills to the second ligh good but thats it. I am just wondering if the same volume levels may be producing different volumes due to the recording, I can say everything else, the mids have more clear punch, the highs are clearer and the surround mix is much more lively.

Also on ELP Lucky Man there is no bass, I am assuming there was no .1 track on this dvd-a disk.

10. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

Greg, The clip is probably due to one of two reasons. I also have a JVC DVD-A player and it clips. I was excited when I got it home and didn't have the new cables yet so I used the supplied cables. When the clip light came on I assumed it was the cables. It wasn't, the JVC units clip all on their own and I have tried several receivers to make sure that wasn't the problem. The only thing you can do is turn the volume down.

If you are using the cables that came with the player switch them out and see if that helps. If it still happens it is most likely the JVC unit itself.

11. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Doug,

The amp clips on the DTS Video 5.1 track not the audio, I expect it to clip at really high levels, the strange thing is it will not reach clipping at the same volume level on a DVD Audio disk as it does on a 5.1 digital disk, I am not sure if this is bass management or the .1 tracks are different from Audio to Video on the DVD.

12. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

Since the DTS version is no different than a standard disc you can try sending the signal to your receiver (assuming it can decode DTS) and let it do the work. It won't clip that way.

You can also do this with the DD 5.1 tracks as you don't need a special player to run them. The added benefit here is that you can use the bass management in the receiver.

I haven't had any problems with mine clipping on DTS tracks but I have had it clip on DD 5.1 tracks when showing movies. I have to remember to use the digital out instead of the analog outs for movie playback.

I also have a Kenwood 5700 and it has no problems with anything. It plays like a champ and never clips.

13. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

All,

I calibrated my system using avia, I guess since there is a true 6 channel format do those settings get by-passed. as well, when listening to 6 channel should all your speakers be set at the same level, or is that by-passed. If the bass is not sufficient on the .1 channel for my taste, is there anything wrong from just turning my sub up, my SVS have the ability to handle more if need be.

Greg

14. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

It does bypass all of your receiver calibrations. You need to do the avia calibration at the player level now. You can set the speaker size and adjust volume just like on the receiver.

The only way to adjust the sub is manualy if you are using the analog signal.

15. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Doug,

How exactly do you do this, sorry to be a pain but I am real new to this format. If the receivers individual speaker settings are bypassed how do you calibrate? I may need a small tutorial on DVD Audio calibration.

16. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

No problem Greg

The player has a set up that is very much like a receivers. If I remember you have to change the system to advanced settings. This will open up additional menu options that allow you to adjust speaker size and volume settings as well as an option to direct the sub settings in DVD-A material. Use the Avia disc and soundmeter just like you would for receiver calibration.

I found the sub setting was a joke however since the sub levels on Music discs seem to be recorded at very different levels disc to disc.

17. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Wow, I know exactly what you are talking about, so my next question is when I listen to a movie in DD do those settings get shifted back through the receiver? How does the player and receiver recognize this.

If I am reading this right,

1. Put in Avia and set up for audio calibration,

2. Call up the dvd players advanced setup, set speakers to small, calibrate using the players speaker settings.

But the volume coming from the test, that would be a digital signal right and not from the analog inputes to each of the 6 channels?

18. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

You are reading it right. The volume for the test is for the analog outputs though. The digital signal is configured on the receiver and yu won't need to change anything.

To make the receiver do the dd 5.1 and DTS play via the digital outs will depend on your receiver. On my Kenwood I have to change it to the 6 channel inputs and back depending on my preference (simple touch of a button). Each receiver has it's own way of handling this though so you will have to configure accordingly.

For the players part you have to set it to output both signals (analog/digital) but I can't remember how that setting works. I think it was PCM/ALL but I could be wrong. I will try and remember to check it when I get home.

19. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

When you use your receiver's DD/DTS processing, then the calibration on your receiver will be used and the settings in the player ignored, and vice-versa. With my Yamaha receiver the 5.1 input is totally separate of the other inputs and has to be selected by itself, then the only thing the Yammy does is change the volume. Note that the speaker size you choose in the player won't affect the DVD-A, but if there are volume adjustments it might.

20. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Yep all I do is hit a button on my Yamaha and it reads the 6 channel and from what you are saying it will read digital when this is off with the simple hit of the button. On the JVC there is a PCM/Stream that is the correct setting according to John K.

So I will need to hit 6 channel when I am in Avia, will it even produce sound in that situation?

So when the player sends out a digital signal it bypasses any of the advanced speaker settings set up in the player and uses the receiver, pretty cool!