DVD Audio Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Br, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I have a buyer for my current dvd video player and I want to get into a DVD Audio player. I know there are no combo players out there except for the Pioneer 47a and that is $1000. I am just looking for a entry level player that will give me a chance to fool around with this new format. I have seen some JVC's but not sure what else I should check out. If anyone could make some recommendations that would be great. Thanks Greg.

2. DonWinzen

DonWinzen Stunt Coordinator

Greg, I am not an expert but my understanding is that Panasonic is coming out with the RP-82 which offers DVD Audio playback as well as CD. It will have the Sage chip as well. The price is below $300

3. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I am so new at this, what is a sage chip? Also when I am reading the playbacks of these players most say, DVD Video, VCD, DVD Audio, MP3, CD-R. I always assumed they would play regular cd's.

4. DonWinzen

DonWinzen Stunt Coordinator

The Sage chip is supposed to be void of the Chroma bug that is problematic with other types. And yes, CDs typically are on most DVD players (even though it uses a different laser pickup than DVD).

5. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

another dumb question, what is the Chromo bug, and can pest contol take care of them

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Greg, I am not a certified expert on the subject, but the "chroma bug" is an undesirable characteristic of some DVD players whereby video artifacts appear in certain scenes of movies. These artifacts can be seen in scenes with a lot of red color from what I have read. Others here can give a good description of the appearance of the chorma bug as well as DVDs that particularly illustrate the problem. The problem is attributed to certain players, not the DVDs. I can tell you that based on many comments from people here, the current crop of Panasonic players does not show the chroma bug. On the other hand, Pioneer players are said to be particularly poor in this regard. Note, however, that some owners of established chroma-bug players claim not to observe it. It has been said that some displays enhance the chroma bug more than others.

As a side note, any and every DVD player available can play CDs.

7. Jim Prillaman

Jim Prillaman Stunt Coordinator

The Panasonic DVD-RA60 sells for around $200, and has DVD-Audio capability (it lacks the progressive scan capability of the RP91; the RP82 will also be progressive scan). It's getting hard to find, but last time I looked Crutchfield still had it.

8. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

How about a Toshiba 4700? I picked one up for $189.00.

It does progressive scan DVD-V plus DVD-A.

9. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Thanks Gary and Jim, I bought the JVC 80bk for $225 shipped from vanns.com with progressive scan and DVD Audio. I have read that it is better for audio than video, which is ok as my tv is pretty average and I am into the audio part right now. Any opinions on the first disk I should get? Also do you use regular RCA interconects for the 6.1 hookup?

10. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I recommend the Barenaked Ladies DVD-A.

11. Jim Prillaman

12. tony randall

tony randall Stunt Coordinator

Gary,

Where did you get the toshiba 4700 for $189. I just got mine from onecall for $225 delivered.

Greg, the 4700 is a very good player under $300. I prefer that unit because it was the best match with my TV for the money. Also, I wanted a DVD player for watching movies, so I was more interested in the video capabilities. I started out looking at the 5-disc units, but found out that the video is better in a single disc unit (i.e toshiba 3750 vs. toshiba 3755).

I do notice my CD's sound marginally better in the CD player, but after 10 minutes I couldn't tell which player the disc is in.

I dont remember the model number, but a friend has a JVC with no complaints.

I also see the Panny's have favorable comments in this forum, but when I read the customer reviews on Panny's at amazon, I kept looking. You need some salt when you read those reviews, because sometimes they are for the wrong model number, and sometimes i think people just like to bash a manufacturer. Just so you dont think I'm bashing a mfr., I'm taking my Panasonic VCR with me to the grave. (Best damn vcr I have ever owned, and I have a Toshiba vcr too!)

13. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

What do you recommend for these connects, would you say radio shack gold series would be sufficient.

14. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Tony, I have the Toshiba 2710 DVD Player and I have a couple of hang ups, one is it sometimes gets stuck on chapter changes and two, depending on the disk there seems to be some noise from the tray, it is dead quit sometimes and loud enough to hear when there is dead quit other times. I just thought I would check other players, the 4700 was definately a option as it was the same price as the JVC.

15. tony randall

Greg,

Where is the 4700 available for $189?

16. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Tony,

Ask Gary

I only saw it for $225

17. Jim Prillaman

Rat Shack Gold should be fine. I've also had good luck lately with Outlaw PCA cables. They are more expensive than RS Gold, but they still offer some excellent quality for the price.

18. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Any other software recommendations?

19. tony randall

Sorry Greg. Well, on a google search, the $189 was for a refurbished. $225 to the door still looks like the lowest price out there.