What's new

dvd-audio player? (1 Viewer)

Jason-K

Auditioning
I have an Onkyo-SP301, which in the manual states that it CAN'T play any dvd-audio disc, but I can play the flaming lips - yoshimi battles dvd-audio 5.1 disc on it. Does this mean I can play any dvd-a disc? How is this possible?
Jay

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Most all DVD-A discs also have a Dolby Digital layer. Some also have a DTS layer (Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys has 5 layers. 3 DVD-A's-mono-stereo-5.1 and DD and DTS.) Since you must have used an optical or coaxal hook-up cable, you are hearing the DD 5.1 surround layer. If you look at the DVD-A packaging, it will say "this disc plays on all dvd players". This is not hi resolution DVD-A quality but compressed DD. BTW, Flaming Lips is next on my "buy" list.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just so there is no confusion, a disc can only have 2 layers per side max. Various content may be stored anywhere on the disc. When your player is not DVD-A capable, it will see the DVD-V portion of the disc and play that instead, which is what you are hearing and/or seeing.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I have NEVER seen a dvd-audio without Dolby Digital and/or DTS tracks on it. IIRC I think it's actually a mandatory feature of that format.

Just a point of information:

The Dvd-Audio Council recently approved the optional use of the AAC (compressed) audio format for the dvd-rom portion (also an optional feature) of a dvd-audio disc. Read more about this here.

In another story on that site it says a Danish group just released a dvd-audio that even comes with MP3 tracks.

LJ

Jason-K

Auditioning
Thanks for the info, and if Im understanding this correctly, although I can hear the DD 5.1 sound (by the disc playing it through the dvd-video layer), if I play the same disc on a "true" dvd-audio player (and the disc is read from the dvd-audio layer), the sound would be better?

if this is true, WOW! I thought the sounds sounded great already.

Gene- the lips in 5.1 is hypnotic! Great stuff.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Jason-K: the next paragraph will probably reveal myself to be more of an audio hobbyist than a true audiophile. :)

To me the dvd-audio tracks--compared to the DD and DTS tracks--usually have slightly smoother high frequencies and fuller/richer midrange frequencies. Bass effects sound pretty much the same to me. One interesting advantage of the high resolution tracks: reverb effects (or reverb "tails" as some professionals call them) usually last a little longer, because hi-res is better at capturing very delicate sonic details such as these.

BUT all the above depends heavily on the quality of your playback system. Personally speaking I have heard all these improvements on my Technics/Pioneer player/Boston Acoustics system (total cost of these: $975 for the stereo-listening portion) but none of them jumped out at me or forced me to change my boxers afterwards. :D They were subtle & I was consciously listening for them. And as I have mentioned here before, on my system the DTS tracks sounded nearly indentical to the dvd-audio tracks. IMO, the Dolby Digital tracks usually have a slightly softer and slightly less "focused" sound than the hi-res tracks but still sound good.

Also, playing a dvd-audio on a dvd-audio player sometimes lets you access certain features not available on the dvd-video layer, like synchronized lyric pages or the ability to switch to a track menu or a photo gallery while the music continues to play. And on all of the dvd-video players I have used when playing a dvd-audio, the track scan function won't work; i.e. you can only jump to a whole other track which is kind of irritating (if you own any Yes albums you will know what I'm talking about!).

LJ

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I haven't either, but wasn't sure. I usually prefer DTS over DD if I notice any difference at all. The actual DTS discs (non DVD-A) are even better than the DTS/DD parts of DVD-A to me. Did that make sense? :confused:

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Although it is the prevailing practice, according to my quite reliable sources the inclusion of DD/DTS is not mandatory. It is highly recommended.

It's also common sense to include them :D

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks