What's new

DVD Audio playback problem (1 Viewer)

Shawn_S

Stunt Coordinator
Don't quite know where to put this, so I figured I'd try here :)
I got a DVD Audio sampler/demo with my new JVC XV-FA95 dvd player. I get no sound at all when playing the tracks. I don't have my complete 5.1 set-up yet. Right now I only have 2 mains & a center channel set up and will add the sub tonight. I tried the speaker set up menu on the disc and it's not giving any sound to my center channel :confused: I have checked my receiver settings and they all are fine. Everything else plays fine with this player (cd's & dvd's). I'm at a loss as what the problem could be. Any suggestions?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Shawn, are you not getting any sound at all, or just not to your center channel...you seem to be a little ambiguous about that.
You may not know this, but DVD-A cannot be transported in the digital domain, so if you have your DVD player hooked up via toslink or digital coax, you'll be out of luck.
You need to hook it up using the 5.1 analog outputs in the back of your player to the 5.1 inputs on the back of your receiver. If your receiver is not equipped with 5.1 analog inputs for SACD or DVD-A, you are also out of luck.
Other than that, I cannot pinpoint from what you've told me as to what the problem could be.:frowning:

Shawn_S

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, now I'm cooking with gas :) I have my DVD hooked up via digital coax, but I just checked my receiver online...
http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi...R00010RX-V1200
and it has the necessary inputs :) Now I have to buy another set of cables :frowning:
Questions? If I run 5.1 analog out, will my movies default to this as well?
Or will it continue to use the coax as the sound source?
What sound difference, if any, is there with coax & 5.1 analog cables?
The reason I mentioned the center channel is because the speaker set-up on the disc would play pink noise for my main speakers, but not my center channel. I figured if I got some sound from my mains on the speaker set-up I should have sound on DVD-A playback. Makes sense to me anyway :)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
This needs to move to A/V sources.

You want to use digital for Dolby Digital and DTS sound, and the analog for DVD-A. You can read your receiver manual for how to switch between the two.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Also, on my Denon 3300, I have to set the receiver to EXT.IN to operate the analog 5.1 cables for DVDA sound.

If I forget to switch from ANALOG or DTS or whatever to that EXT.IN button, I don't get DVDA sound.

JohnG

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Evan,

Your comment about not being able to use a Toslink cable has me confused. I have a fiberoptic cable going from my DVD Changer to the digital input on my receiver and have not had any problems listening to the few DVD-Audio discs that I've got. The only other cables that I have connected to my DVD changer are component video cables and I have not had to make any changes in order to listen to DVD-A discs.

I assumed that DVD-A would use the same path as a standard movie DVD soundtrack through the DVD player and receiver. Obviously I'm not grasping the concept here so I could use a little enlightenment!

Shawn_S

Stunt Coordinator
Frank, I might be able to help :)
You can play DVD-A in any DVD player, but as I have read, to get the "full resolution" of DVD-A you need a player designed for DVD-A. My DVD Player appears to have a separate lens or something that plays back the DVD-A, but it won't play the DVD-A through digital coax or tosh (tried that as well last night). My old Toshiba SD1200 plays the demo fine.
Haven't gotten the cables I need yet, but when I do I'm really looking forward to hearing this demo dvd I got.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Shawn,
It isn't a seperate lens.
Please read the Link Removed for a better understanding of what's going on from a playback level.
Regards,

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
john geelan (or anyone for that matter)i have the denon 3300 also and have a pan rb-91 hooked to it through the external inputs on the back.

i canot figure out how to adjust volume on it tho'

could you clue me in to what i might need to do.

i just bought the 91 from some one here on the forum i hope i dont have a bad player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks