Dvd audio or sacd????????????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Holt, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Scott Holt

Scott Holt Agent

What format seems to be taking off more than the other? I am going to invest in one sooner or later but want to make the right choice. Does anyone have any inside information.[​IMG]

2. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

My advice?

Start buying both. Go to Best Buy or whatever B&M is local. Browse the titles and start buying what you know and like.

I don't think one format will croak by next Thursday, or by the end of this year or next.

Take stock of your speakers. If they are not full range, you will also need bass management to prevent distortion. Buget $250 for an Outlaw ICBM or similar piece.

3. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

That annoys me too. So far I only have The Corrs In Blue DVD-A and no SACDs but what Sony don't seem to get is: It's not like all or most Hi-Def Audio Disks are available in both formats therefore it would be competition, SACD vs DVD-A. It's half the record companies are releasing SACDs and half are releasing DVD-As. And for most of us, we like artists from both sides and will need both eventually. The only viable solution would be a player that is affordable that would play both format.

It's like, what if half the software companies would release their games for Windows only, and the other half for Linux only. Dual-Booting is impractical for most people.

This whole thing about Sony sueing Apex for making an affordable player that plays both format is about as idiotic as Micro$oft sueing the team that made that thingy that allows Windows Apps to run on Linux.

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Apex whatta whatta? You got a link to this player? I know they are certainly not the best when it comes to video, but as a dvd-a & sacd player it might be worth the money.

5. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

6. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    I agree with RicP on this one. APEX is garbage. It never made sense, a really cheap player to play hi-res discs? It defeats the whole purpose.

I feel both formats can peacefully co-exist. Pioneer has a new combo player coming out the DV-47A. Not cheap $1200. I have heard preliminary reports that DVD-A sounded great. The SACD playback is Ok but not stellar, but also noted that the player was not "broken in". The reviewer seemed to think that SACD players needed break-in time. What are your thought on this RicP? You seem to know a lot about SACD.

7. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Do you have a link to the Panasonic or Pioneer players that play both SACD and DVD-A?

8. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Larry,
    Look in the Hardware section in the Audio/Video area. There are always threads about the 2 Universal players in there.
    edit: Actually Panasonic does not have a Universal player right now, but there are rumours that they will introduce one by years end
    A search should turn up lots. [​IMG]

9. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Larry,

Panasonic does not have a combo player.

10. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Glad to know that thing I read about the Apex being sued for offering both is wrong...

I guess I'll be listening to The Corrs in Dolby Digital for a while... Until we can have a machine that plays both for not too much.