DVD-Audio: Is Using Just A Surround Receiver A No-No?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I was thinking about DVD-Audio today, and a few things arose in my mind:

1) With the dynamic properties of such hi-res. recordings, how can one use a surround receiver's amps only and enjoy a DVD-A recording? Tell me that adding a separate amp is the only way to truly enjoy DVD-A (and any other hi-resolution audio for that matter, eg. Dolby D).

2) How much more dynamic is a 2-channel and multi-channel DVD-A track than a regular DD or DTS track?

3) How bout I open up a can of worms at HTF today?

The whole point of this thread is for me to have a reason to suggest to my freind that he ought to add a separate amp to his Denon in order to enjoy DVD-A on his future RP91. I know the arguement that adding separate amps for home theater is still being debated, but for DVD-A (and SACD), isn't this issue even more important?

Discuss.

2. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

I will take a shot at this...

1. You are using the 6 channel inputs on your receiver which bypasses everything but the amps on most receivers. This allows the hi res to pass right through.

2. If the stereo track is 192k there is a huge difference in sound quality. How much depends on the level of your system.

Also note that most DVD-A discs use 96k for stereo and for surround mixes. If this is the case the best track depends on how they mix the surround track and your own preferences.

3. in Stereo mode a good receiver pumps all (ok a lot) of the unused power into the 2 speakers so you are getting more power *however* depending on your receiver it may indeed be advantageous to run an outboard amp to your front mains.

3. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

The first q is more of a philisophical question rather than a question about the actual physical setup of DVD-A.

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

1) It depends on the quality, just like in any other situation. Personally I think you'd want an amp that's better than your "average" home theater receiver. Whether that's a separate amp or one in a high end receiver it might not be that much different. With some of the mixes you're going to be using all channels more throughout the recording when compared to your typical movie.

2) Its a huge difference in sound. I can't provide any numbers, but I can tell you that DVD-Audio sounds better than DD on the discs I have compared.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chuck, here are my thoughts:

1)

6. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I just found this tid-bit in another thread; it ranks sound resoution

DD 2.0

DD 5.1 (384)

DD 5.1 (448)

DTS low bit

DTS high bit

DTS 24/96

44/16 PCM Stereo

96/24 PCM Stereo

88.2 DVD-A Stereo

88.2 DVD-A 5.1

88.2 DVD-A 5.1 downmixed to stereo

96 DVD-A Stereo

96 DVD-A 5.1

96 DVD-A 5.1 downmixed to stereo

192 DVD-A Stereo

Is this accurate?

If it is, then my initial question may be answered...the receiver's amps ain't gonna cut it for DVD-A and shit, probably CDs too.

C'mon fellas, I thought this thread would start a nice, educational debate..

7. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Do you have some specs on the receiver's amps? Why do you think they can't cut it for CD? Who would make an amp that poor? If its a DD receiver at least, then it should have five amps with the same power rating. Unless its on the really low end it should be decent for CDs and may be just fine for DVD-Audio. Of course with DVD-Audio's higher resolution, amps with less distortion will be nicer, but that applies to all the audio formats also.

As for the listing, DVD-A is compressed PCM. Therefore 24/96 PCM is better than the 88.2 DVD-A Stereo, and the same as DVD-A Stereo so it should be bumped down three spots.