dvd audio hookups question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinVM, Nov 3, 2002.

1. KevinVM

KevinVM Agent

I have a toshiba sd-4800 and am wondering about the connections. If I use the 5.1 audio outs, do I still need to use either the coax/optical?

2. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

You'll need one of the digital outs for the DVD Video. I just bought the same DVD player. Was your background brightness a little too much when watching DVD's? An example would be when you play a widescreen version of a movie the black bars at the top and bottom were quite noticably light on one half. Although it didn't seem to affect the picture, it was annoying. Fortunately there is a brightness control which I hope will take care of the problem. I am running the Toshiba through a Marantz 3200 receiver.

3. KevinVM

KevinVM Agent

If im reading this correctly, you need to use the 5.1 outs to use DVD-A correct? But do you need to also use one of the bitstream/pcm audio out jacks as well? I plan on using the S video to the tv. I havent used it extensively to say anything about the brightness, nothing noticeable when I have used it.

Kevin

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If you only connect the 5.1 analog inputs, you must use the DVD player's built-in decoder and bass management (or lack thereof) for DVD-video playback. If you also connect the player via a digital audio connection (either optical or coaxial), you can use the bass management and Dolby Digital / DTS decoders built into your receiver. Usually, the receiver's decoders and bass management are superior to those in the DVD player.

You must use the 5.1 analog connections for DVD-Audio, thanks to the paranoia of the recording industry.

5. Warren Hubbs

Warren Hubbs Agent

is it the same for sacd?

6. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

if you want to hear Multi-Ch SACD then yes you need to use the 5.1 analog outs to the receiver.

7. KevinVM

KevinVM Agent

Thanks for clearing that up, the manual isnt exactly clear on that aspect of it. Just trying to figure out what cables I need to get.

Kevin