DVD-Audio HookUp Questions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris Taplin, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Chris Taplin

Chris Taplin Extra

Ok, I may be behind the times a bit, but trying to catch up.

There a new kid on the 5.1 block, it's called DVD-Audio. We recently bought a car that has DVD-Audio and I want to upgrade my system to be able to play the discs we are buying for the car.

I think i can do this with my trusty Yammy RX-V1 using the 6-channel inputs. Do ALL DVD-A players output the 5.1 through 6 seperate RCA outputs. Or do some players output the signal digitally, leaving the decoding up to the Receiver/Processor? This would suggest that the Receiver would have a Decoder called "DVD-Audio". If so, then I guess I need a Player that has a decoder built-in for my system.

Please set me in the right direction....

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Every DVD-A player will connect through the 6 RCA connectors. Some companies (I think Denon and Panasonic, maybe) offer a digital connection if both the player and receiver are made by the same company. This connection generally uses a FireWire (IEEE 1394) cable. Even in this situation, however, I'm pretty sure that the player is still doing the decoding so that is not something to look for in the receiver.

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Further to what Seth mentioned, Denon, Pioneer, and Meridian offer a digital connection. Pioneer offers iLink which is 1394, Denon offers iLink as well, but also has a proprietary connection.

Whether or not a Denon iLink works with a Pio iLink remains to be seen.

Any player/receiver/pre-pro combo that has a digital connection option would mean that the decoding takes place in the receiver or pre/pro.

Such systems will also allow for BM and TA in the digital domain.

Analog connection mean that the decoding resides in the player.

BGL

5. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    For what it's worth, you can connect a Pioneer universal player with iLink to the newest Yamaha flagship receiver and the Yamaha will do processing for all multichannel formats (DD, DTS, DVD-A, SACD). How it does it, I don't know. I just know that Sound and Vision magazine recently reviewed the Yamaha and they hooked up the Pioneer to it.

6. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

to add a little more. some hirez players have a 2-channel output mode, which doesn't require all 6 analog connections, but only 2. so, you don't really need the 6 inputs on your pre/pro/receiver to start doing hirez in 2-channel.

iirc, dvd-a (but not sacd) COULD physically be passed through a coax or optical connection, but that's not allowed for copyright reasons; all decoding must be done at the player. so, currently, most pre/pro/receivers, generally, do not have any dvd-a (or sacd) decoding capabilities.