DVD Audio firewire standard approved

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeH1, Dec 15, 2002.

1. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Not sure if this was discussed here before but here's the article
    http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/...firewire.shtml
    Great!! My DVD player I bought 6 months ago is now officially outdated! And so is my Denon 2802!! [​IMG]
    Hopefully, along with the release of some good titles ( its starting to happen woohoo!!) this is the beginning of something good for DVD A.

2. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I hear you Mike,

This certainly has thrown a wrench in my plans. I was looking to get a Denon AVR-3803 next month, but will likely wait until Denon incorporates the firewire software into their existing components. What I like about this approved standard, is that ALL manufactuerers will be adding firewire to their future players, meaning, it need not be limited to expensive devices like the Denon 5803/9000 and the Meridian gear. Denon is debuting a new universal player next month at CES, hopefully, they will incorporate the technology into this player. Either way, I ain't buying until this firwire technology is available.

Reg

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael,

Thanks for sharing the link. This is great news! I'm not sure that firewire will matter to the average consumer, but to folks like us, it is a huge development.

Reggie,

I hear you. I have toyed with the idea of upgrading my DVD-Audio player to something like the Denon DVD-3800, but I've been holding out for more software. Now I'm definitely going to wait until a good selection of quality and moderately-priced players appear with firewire. I may not upgrade my receiver anytime soon, but I would at least like my player to have the firewire port.

4. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Figures. I bought a Pioneer Elite DV-45A this weekend. [​IMG]
    Ryan

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ryan, you could always take it back and stare at your SACDs and DVD-Audio discs. [​IMG] Seriously though, how do you like the '45A?

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

firewire is digital isn't it? so this should definitely alleviate the bass management issue.

but what about illegal copying? wasn't the whole point of running the 5.1 analog cabling because they didn't want a digital connection?

7. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Thats correct Ted. I'm not sure how they plan on overcoming this problem but my moneys on watermarking the discs.

8. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

You'd probably lose that bet. My money is on encryption of the firewire data.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Wayne, some DVD-Audio discs currently employ a watermarking scheme in which a code buried in the audio bitstream prevents copying. This seems similar to an encryption of firewire data that you referred to.

10. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Keith,
    No it isn't.
    With an encrypted channel, you can't just grab the data off the wire (with a sniffer, or other methods of storing the raw digital data) and reassemble them at your leisure.
    Well you still can, but you have to decrypt to get any meaningful information [​IMG] Without the key, you're stuck holding on to meaningless information.
    Regards,

11. Ryan Spaight

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

have any of you guys been able to tell (from an audio quality viewpoint) that a disc has been watermarked?

in other words, is the watermark audible in any way? there seems to be two sides to that coin???

13. Ryan Spaight

I have yet to see someone say, "Listen to disc X at time x:xx compared to the CD -- there's the watermark." I don't doubt it's audible under the right conditions, but no one's pointed to it yet outside of test discs.

The firewire encryption will be of the digital stream itself, and so should have no effect on the sound of the eventually decoded audio.

Ryan

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

15. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I have never heard a watermarked disc either but it would sure be interesting to do a a/b comparison. I think I read an article some time ago that concerning DAT the watermarking was audible so it was thrown out of court (not sure the details of the case). Perhaps now with technology always on the increase it isn't so obvious. But like I said I have never heard it (at least I don't think I have).

16. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

well, i'm glad that the watermarking (appears) inaudible.

so, my next question - which really should have been part of my first question. :b

since the watermarking (or encrypted fire-wire for that matter) prevents copying, how will this affect fair-use rights?

17. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter