DVD Audio Discs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamG, Aug 8, 2001.

1. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Hello!
    This is my first post to this forum as I'm a COMPLETE novice to home theater ...
    ANYway, please forgive what may be a very stupid question:
    do *audio* DVD's require any special hardware to run or do you just put the disc in and let 'er go?
    Thanks!

2. Anthony Stephan

Anthony Stephan Stunt Coordinator

DVD Audio discs, or DVD-A, is a fairly new technology that is superior in sound to normal CDs in stereo mode and is also capable of 5.1 surround mixes.
    In order to take advantage of the technology, you need a CD player that will decode the DVD-A on-board and you will need a pre/pro or receiver with a six channel input to process the decoded sound.
    I tried to make that simple. But the simplest answer is...YES.

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

To play back the high resolution audio from DVD-A discs you will need a DVD-A compatible player. In addition you will need a receiver/processor with either analog passthrough or external decoder inputs (the latter absolutely if you want full 5.1 channel DVD-A playback). The DVD-A bitstream is not passed via the digital connections, thus the need for analog passthrough. The limitation of most current DVD-A players is that they have very rudimentary bass management facilities (if at all) that limit their effectiveness with different speaker systems. Because you must bypass the receiver/processor's DSP section you can not utilize its bass management system. The solution is to wait for a DVD-A player to be released that has full bass management, or to buy an external unit like Outlaw Audio's ICBM that meets this need externally (a great niche product).
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

4. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Anthony & Jay-
    I'm looking at a Sony STR-DE875 receiver and a Sony ?400D DVD player ... will those do the trick?