What's new

DVD-audio difference!? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
ok, I just hooked my computer up to be able to get positional audio from games and I sampled some DVD-audio music that came on a disc with my sound card. However my brother tells me that he owns a simple plan CD/DVD that had 5.1 audio on one side. He says he can play this on his CD/DVD player(mainly a shelf system with surround speakers, capable of playing DD 5.1 no DTS) and get 5.1. Is this the same thing as DVD-audio? if so why can he play it!? I thought you needed to use analog connections...any help would be appreciated

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
If you play a DVD-audio disc in a DVD-audio player, you'll be able to hear high resolution multichannel audio. If you play it in a DVD-Video player, you might be able to hear a 5.1 dolby digital or dts mix. Both are heavily compressed, and, theoretically, at least, are sonically inferior to the DVD-Audio tracks. Actual results depend on the accuracy of your ears and speakers.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
DVD-Audio uses lossless compression - so it doesn't discard data to fit high resolution audio. Dolby and DTS does discard data (lossy compression), with Dolby being more compressed than DTS. The goal for audio is to be lossless.

In the end, the sounds in the 5.1 array will be the same, it's the resolution of the audio that changes between the three. Of course, the playback system has to be capable of playing that high resolution back.

Mike

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Guys!

I don't think he even means DVD-A, since it came on a DVD with his soundcard. I don't know of a way to play DVD-A/SACD on a computer yet. It's probably just a normal DVD.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
no I mean DVD-A the sound blaster audigy 2 ZX can do it via analog outs which I send to my receiver. they are getting very annoying though as hookup is full of headaches

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks