What's new

DVD-Audio council announces 70 titles before year's end. (1 Viewer)

Steve_AS

Second Unit
ROFLMAO Lee.

Nothing can remove the fact that a crap capture is just that.

OTOH, if you're talking about terrible mastering that's a different story.
Darn. And I was SO pinning my hopes on an upsampled remaster of 'White Light/White Heat'.:D

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Nothing can remove the fact that a crap capture is just that.
I simply stated that the upsampling can make an improvement when done right; I was not referring to any ability to fix mistakes in the recording process as I know of no way to do that.

The best possible solution is to do a recording in both analog for LP pressings and some form of hirez - either DSD or 24/96 or 24/192 PCM.

I prefer DSD based on my experience but both can and do sound good when well done, even from 16/44 or 16/48 sources. I am playing right now with 88.2khz sampling and have gotten good results.

By the way, I saw two new Sinatra DVDAs at Tower over lunch today-the Sands and the Rat Pack albums. I also saw the new REM hits collection.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
sorry to bring this old thread back from the dead, but Tuesday is 12/16 (which also happens to be my birthday :) ) and I'm wondering if the Gaucho DVD-A is still on track for release on Tuesday. I've already got the SACD and redbook disc but i love this album that much that I'm planning on buying the DVD-A as well. Any info?

David Judah

Screenwriter
And of those 10s of millions, 99% will be listening to the Dolby Digital tracks
Just think how much better they would sound in DTS(sorry, couldn't resist, but Dolby Digital and DTS have no place in a Hi-rez thread).:D

I was at Best Buy the other day and saw alot of the listed titles. Both the DVD-A & SACD sections are starting to fill out nicely there.

I hope Santa is generous this year.

DJ

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Keith and Justin,
BRAVO!! I could not agree more. Can you imagine VH #1, Prince 1999, Led Zeppelin II, or Stop Making Sense, Speaking In Tongues, or just about any other Heads release in Hi-Rez?? I await that day with much anticipation. What the hell are these record companies thinking?

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Dave B: the Musictap index page says the Gaucho dvd-audio will be released.......drum roll.........March 23.

Yikes.

Er, I assume it's because it will be released on the new hybrid "DVDplus" format???

LJ

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
"sorry, couldn't resist, but Dolby Digital and DTS have no place in a Hi-rez thread)."

Maybe DTS isn't considered hi-rez, but I can assure you that most of my DTS surround discs sound better than any/all of my 96/24 Silverline DVD-A discs (when compared to the CD version of each release).

;) Dave

PhilBoy

Second Unit
... my $.02.

I think DVD-A is absolutely 100% more consumer friendly over SACD.

As another poster stated DVD-A is playable in more homes than SACD (at least multichannel, not hirez).

I own 2 DVD-V's with dts tracks which I find refreshing as 5.1 mixes. I play them with the video off. Both have wonderful PCM tracks as well, much brighter that the redbooks of the same tunes.

I own 1 DVD-A (soon to be 2... there's one hidden under the bed. shhhh) which again has a brilliant dts mix of an album I have loved for years. In fact the DVD-A was cheaper than the redbook equivalent.

The 1 SACD, DSoTM, I bought out of curiosity, has the exact same redbook layer as the cd I bought 15 years ago.

It may be a while until I am "Advanced Audio Equipped", but at least I have a start on the software.

Right now I can enjoy the multichannel benefits of DVD-A via DD or dts and still have a medium that is 'futureproofed' when I do get a DVD-A player. Something to look forward to so to speak.

I can almost guarantee that I will not be purchasing another SACD (unless I purchase a multi-player).

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I suspect at the current price point of the Pioneer 563 and future models that will likely even be cheaper, the format thing won't be an issue much longer. What will be an issue to what software is put out the door at what price point to attract consumers to buy it. If they don't have software that consumers want they won't sell it, whatever format it is. Playing the DVD-V portion of a DVD-A on a DVD-V player is easy if one wants and enjoys the compressed (nothing wrong with what one enjoys) DD or DTS multi-channel mixes. To those more interested in hi-res, it may be different depending on their player and preferences.

PhilBoy

Second Unit
Phil A,

I would LOVE to hear hi-res on a complimentary system, I am sure it is magical, but just not in the budget right now.

I expect in a year or so I will graduate to Hi Rez High, but for now dts works for me (DD doesn't).

We are now back to the mercy of onboard D/A (remember your first 4X oversampling CD player, then MASH, then Coax...

I think multiplayers (there is only 1 I know of) are not great at everything.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
PhilBoy, I agree with you that for the most part, the multiplayers out there are not great at everything (if you get to the DC area feel free to stop by to hear hi-res). I've said it before that one big advantage to DVD-A, although rarely mentioned, is that equipment manuf. have more experience with PCM circuitry vs. DSD, although I'm sure it will catch up over time and get better with each generation. Even those that do not convert everything to PCM (e.g. not use the bass management) have one clock which often approximates the sampling frequency. I believe the Linn Unidisk, which is very expensive, actually has separate clocks for each format.

I have a universal player in the bedroom system (old Pioneer Elite DV-47A) that feeds multiple places and I like being able to play any format. In my main system, I have separate players for each format. I would hope by around XMAS next year, we will see at least one half-decent universal player at around or under the $100 price point.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
If you want me to cook, you'd better be prepared to sign some waivers on what could happen to you. For setting up audio, I am highly recommended, for cooking, you might prefer dog food.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks