DVD Audio Connections

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Don__C, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Don__C

Don__C Extra

My user manual is a little unclear on audio hookup of my JVC DVD. When connecting the Coax Digital to my receiver, do I also connect the standard audio for non-digital DVD's and CD's? Will the player know which is which for varying audio formats, or will I have to make changes in the player's menu?

2. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

All DVDs and CDs are digital. All you need is the digital connection, and set your receiver on "auto decode" if it has such a thing. You will want to make sure your player is set to send the digital signal (it should be in the player's menu somewhere).

Try using it first. If it works with just the digital cable, then you should be fine. Otherwise, you might have to play around with your DVD player's menus.

3. Don__C

Don__C Extra

Removed the analog cables and everything works fine. Thanks for the help.

4. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

In the same vein (or possibly similar), is it possible to hook up a single player to a receiver (Denon 1601 I think) and play CDs and DVDs without manually setting Stereo, DD, etc?

Right now, when I pop a CD in, I have to select DVD from the receiver and then select Stereo from the Surround options. I'd like to select CD and have Stereo already be set.

My DVD player currently has only digital outputs and a pair of analog outputs but I will be getting a player soon with a 5.1 decoder built in, if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

5. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Patrick, the player's 5.1 decoder would be for DD 5.1 or DTS and would only be used for discs encoded with those formats. If I understand your question correctly, you basically want your receiver to know whether your disc is a CD or DVD or know whether you want to listen in stereo or surround mode. Well, that's quite a lot to ask and I think would require some kind of artificial intelligence feature. Basically the receiver just sees whether the signal is two channels or multi-channel and its up to you to set the listening mode that you prefer and which is compatible. Sometimes you might want to watch a two-channel movie in stereo and forego Pro Logic and another time you might want to listen to a CD in five channel stereo or some other DSP mode. There are just too many preferences and variables for a receiver to figure out what you want. The solution to have CDs always be in stereo mode would be to either get another player dedicated to CDs and run it to its own input on the receiver and leave the setting on stereo, or run another output from player (either analog or the other digital if it has it) to another input and leave that on stereo.

6. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

My receiver is set on "auto decode". If there is a DVD in the player, I get DD/dts/etc. If there is a CD, I get PCM, which is played in stereo (plus the sub).

Your receiver should be able to automatically decode the digital signal.

7. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

As I was saying, CD's default to Dolby Pro Logic on my receiver. It makes no distinction between a DVD and a CD. The PLAYER knows the difference...

8. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

I wish I had more experience with different types of receivers, then I could give a conclusive response. Oh well. This sounds like the receiver defaults to stereo with two channel sources. What happens when you put in a DVD and select a two channel track like the audio commentary or plain Dolby Surround? Does the receiver go to Pro Logic or stereo mode?

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It’ll work just fine, Patrick. The players output both digital and analog signals simultaneously.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt