1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DVD-Audio compatability question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Will K, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Before I go and buy any DVD-A's, will these discs play on a standard DVD player, specifically a Toshiba 3006? Thanks very much in advance.

2. Emmett Maguire

Yes most of the dvd-a's have a DD5.1 track. This is a separate track from the higher quality dvd-a track. I have a couple of dvd-a discs as it is impossible to get dts cd's where I live on Vancouver Island in Canada. Eventually when I upgrade my dvd player (toshiba 3109) it will have dvd-a as a standard feature. I have the Doors and Deep Purple and the quality is quite good. I can't compare it to the actual dvd-a though.
    Hope this helps a bit
    Regards
    Emmett

3. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Thanks Emmett! I just picked up Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and it sounds pretty darn good! I'm sitting here marvelling at the clarity! [​IMG]

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

You should hear the real DVD-A tracks!!! [​IMG] The only one I have is Steely Dan: Two Against Nature but it kicks major butt.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Right on, Philip. I often find that a music format sounds great until I hear a higher-resolution version. Then, it can be hard to go back to the lower-resolution version. This has certainly been my experience with DVD-Audio discs. Some of the Dolby Digital tracks sound good and many of the DTS tracks are quite good. However, the DVD-Audio tracks are on a higher plane. There is no comparison. The Steely Dan DVD-Audio track is outstanding.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

6. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Will:
    Just want to explicitly call out what is implicit in Emmett, Philip and Keith's posts: the "backward compatibility" of Rumours is not part of the DVD-A "spec." Warner/Elektra/Asylum decided to include a Dolby Digital track on their DVD-As so that they could be played (in lower fidelity) on DVD-V players. That was an independent, voluntary decision on WEA's part--not something stipulated by the "spec."
    In other words, there is no guarantee that other "content providers" will make a similar decision regarding their releases. (To wit, note DTS' DVD-As, which are of course "backward compatible" via a DTS track, not DD.)
    ------------------
    Cheers,
    Paul
    [​IMG]