DVD-Audio compatability question

Will K

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Before I go and buy any DVD-A's, will these discs play on a standard DVD player, specifically a Toshiba 3006? Thanks very much in advance.

Reaction score
Yes most of the dvd-a's have a DD5.1 track. This is a separate track from the higher quality dvd-a track. I have a couple of dvd-a discs as it is impossible to get dts cd's where I live on Vancouver Island in Canada. Eventually when I upgrade my dvd player (toshiba 3109) it will have dvd-a as a standard feature. I have the Doors and Deep Purple and the quality is quite good. I can't compare it to the actual dvd-a though.
Hope this helps a bit
Regards
Emmett

Will K

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Thanks Emmett! I just picked up Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and it sounds pretty darn good! I'm sitting here marvelling at the clarity!

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor
Reaction score
You should hear the real DVD-A tracks!!!
The only one I have is Steely Dan: Two Against Nature but it kicks major butt.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

KeithH

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Right on, Philip. I often find that a music format sounds great until I hear a higher-resolution version. Then, it can be hard to go back to the lower-resolution version. This has certainly been my experience with DVD-Audio discs. Some of the Dolby Digital tracks sound good and many of the DTS tracks are quite good. However, the DVD-Audio tracks are on a higher plane. There is no comparison. The Steely Dan DVD-Audio track is outstanding.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Paul.S

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul
Will:
Just want to explicitly call out what is implicit in Emmett, Philip and Keith's posts: the "backward compatibility" of Rumours is not part of the DVD-A "spec." Warner/Elektra/Asylum decided to include a Dolby Digital track on their DVD-As so that they could be played (in lower fidelity) on DVD-V players. That was an independent, voluntary decision on WEA's part--not something stipulated by the "spec."
In other words, there is no guarantee that other "content providers" will make a similar decision regarding their releases. (To wit, note DTS' DVD-As, which are of course "backward compatible" via a DTS track, not DD.)
------------------
Cheers,
Paul

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balbendergeta