DVD-Audio and BASS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Custodio, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I was recently comparing a DVD-Audio with my Denon 1600 and Sony cd changer. I noticed that the DVD-audio of course sounded much clearer and a lot more detailed, but when compared to the cd version it had almost no bass. I know there are bass management problems with DVD-audio but I thought the problem was that all of the bass goes to all the speakers. I do see that my SVS sub green light does go on when listening to dvd-a but the bass just isn't a there compared to CD. Any help with what I am doing wrong would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    K

2. Myki Cantero

Myki Cantero Stunt Coordinator

Hi Ken,

Since DVD-Audio makes use of the 5.1 analog inputs, then it disregards any bass management in your receiver/amp.

If your DVD-Audio player has bass management, then tune that one first (speaker levels, distances, sizes, etc.)

If your player doesn't have bass management, are your speakers capable of handling the lows? Since they will be driven full-range.

Bass with my DVD-A player is very fine. I set all my speakers except my center to LARGE.

Myki

3. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

That's probably the problem. You may need Bass Management in your system to fully enjoy DVDA.

For instance, I had bought Metallica's Black Album on DVDA and played it on a non-DVDA player (Toshiba 2109) and it sounded great as a Dolby Digital 5.1 track.

So then I bought the Panny RP91 DVDA player and I thought this should sound even better, but it didn't. Right off the bat something sounded wrong, there was no bass like I had when I used the Dolby Digital track. The DVDA track was weak in comparison.
    I knew it was a Bass Management problem (I use small speakers and 2 subs).
    So I bought a Outlaw ICBM unit for $240 and that did solve my Bass Management problems.
    I now have the ICBM connected to both my DVDA player and my SACD player.