What's new

DVD Aspect Ratio question (1 Viewer)

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
OK so I have a Widescreen TV, Panny 47".

I know there are several apsect ratio sizes, 1.85:1 2.??:1, and so on, and anamorphic.

Lets take Dune in Widescreen. Should I have 4" tall bars on the top and bottom of the picture? The most I've ever seen before is maybe 1 to 2" thick lines. But Dune (And a couple of others I have) have 4" thick lines.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm watching the movie through the Zenith DVB318 upscalling player. But I also had this same issue with my old player (Xbox). Or are the DVD's just going to look like this and there is nothing I can do about it?

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
OK so I have a Widescreen TV, Panny 47".

I know there are several apsect ratio sizes, 1.85:1 2.??:1, and so on, and anamorphic.

Lets take Dune in Widescreen. Should I have 4" tall bars on the top and bottom of the picture? The most I've ever seen before is maybe 1 to 2" thick lines. But Dune (And a couple of others I have) have 4" thick lines.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm watching the movie through the Zenith DVB318 upscalling player. But I also had this same issue with my old player (Xbox). Or are the DVD's just going to look like this and there is nothing I can do about it?

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
If you tv fills up the screen with 1.85:1, then with 2.35:1 you will have bars at the top and bottom still.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
If you tv fills up the screen with 1.85:1, then with 2.35:1 you will have bars at the top and bottom still.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
probably the disc is non-anamorphic. Do the characters and video look all squished vertically?

If so, this is easy to fix on the Zenith:
Press the ZOOM button three times, then press the up and down buttons to stretch the video vertically to unsquish the video until it looks about right.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
probably the disc is non-anamorphic. Do the characters and video look all squished vertically?

If so, this is easy to fix on the Zenith:
Press the ZOOM button three times, then press the up and down buttons to stretch the video vertically to unsquish the video until it looks about right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks