What's new

DVD and Widescreen question (1 Viewer)

CoryS

Auditioning
Are the bars still supposed to show up with a widescreen dvd? I have setup everything as 16:9 (on the dvd player and tv)and I still have the bars? I can change the picture mode to zoom on the tv and get rid of them but the picture quality is degraded.

Are the bars normal even on a widescreen tv? If not what else do I need to check? Thanks Cory

ShaunD

Grip
Depending on the ratio of the film you will most likely always have black bars even on a 16:9 film; but on most films(non 2.35:1) the bars are in the overscan area.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Wide screen movies fit better on a 16:9 TV set but the fit is still not perfect, unless the movie's aspect ratio is exactly 16:9 (1.78:1).
The only ways to eliminate the black bars completely are the same as for a 4:3 TV -- stretch the picture to fit making the proportions a bit distorted, or expand the picture evenly (zoom) and part of the picture material is lost off one or more edges (like pan and scan).
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

CoryS

Auditioning
I can't get to the FAQ it just sits there after I click on it!!!!!!! and the SEARCH locks up my computer 9 times out of 10, hence the reason I asked the question here!!!!!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Interesting.
You should try THIS LINK.
And if it doesn't load, maybe post something in Help/Feedback and make sure this isn't a problem on our end!
-vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks