DVD and Widescreen question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CoryS, Nov 6, 2002.

1. CoryS

CoryS Auditioning

Are the bars still supposed to show up with a widescreen dvd? I have setup everything as 16:9 (on the dvd player and tv)and I still have the bars? I can change the picture mode to zoom on the tv and get rid of them but the picture quality is degraded.

Are the bars normal even on a widescreen tv? If not what else do I need to check? Thanks Cory

2. ShaunD

ShaunD Extra

Depending on the ratio of the film you will most likely always have black bars even on a 16:9 film; but on most films(non 2.35:1) the bars are in the overscan area.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Wide screen movies fit better on a 16:9 TV set but the fit is still not perfect, unless the movie's aspect ratio is exactly 16:9 (1.78:1).
    The only ways to eliminate the black bars completely are the same as for a 4:3 TV -- stretch the picture to fit making the proportions a bit distorted, or expand the picture evenly (zoom) and part of the picture material is lost off one or more edges (like pan and scan).
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

5. CoryS

CoryS Auditioning

I can't get to the FAQ it just sits there after I click on it!!!!!!! and the SEARCH locks up my computer 9 times out of 10, hence the reason I asked the question here!!!!!

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Interesting.
    You should try THIS LINK.
    And if it doesn't load, maybe post something in Help/Feedback and make sure this isn't a problem on our end!
    -vince