What's new

DVD and HDTV resolution modes? (1 Viewer)

BlakeH

Auditioning
Hi. I have a 55" Mitsubishi 16:9 1080i HDTV and a Toshiba progressive scan DVD player. I was wondering if it's possible to obtain 1080i resolutions in DVD mode. Right now I use 480p (to my knowledge). Is there a possibility of higher resolutions when playing DVD's?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
DVD is 480 lines only.

The only way to get 1080i out of DVD is to use a scaling device to process the image. This doesn't result in any real added resoltuion- but can offer some benefits.

A scaling device or a HTPC can both provide DVD scaling to these types of resolution outputs.

-Vince

Butch S

Auditioning
Yes, unfortunately the DVD will never achieve true HD. That is until HD-DVD comes out. But until then, if you have a wad of extra cash, pick up DVHS.
I myself am DYING for some HD material on my HD-frikkin-TV ;)

jason123

Agent
I thought that the progresive scan dvd playier with component cables will equil the 1080. If not what is te point on buying the progressive?

I also have the mitsu 55' HDTV did you notice a bid diff. when you went to the better dvd player?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Progressive is just 480 lines progressively displayed. This is not the same at 1080i, nor really all that close. I'm always surprised how lacking in info the average consumers are about HD feeds - I wish that the people selling these things had taken more time to give even the basic info!

The point of progressive scan is that it beats the pee out of 480 interlaced. Instead of getting a picture made up of fields updated half at a time (interlaced)- you get a true 480 lines displayed progressively, all 480 lines at once.

But regardless- 480p is an improvement over the 480i native of NTSC video- but it still isn't 1080.

-Vince

Iver

Second Unit
I wish that the people selling these things had taken more time to give even the basic info!
Besides the refusal of the cable TV companies to cooperate in any way with the DTV transition, one of the biggest stumbling blocks has to be the failure of the industry to clearly communicate to consumers just what they are trying to sell them, exactly.

It would help, as a start, if sales people could at least be educated on it to the point where they might have a chance of providing a prospective H/DTV owner with a basic idea of the technology.

For now I guess HTF will have its hands full.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This is one of the things we need to add to our FAQ list because with HDTV's becoming more mainstream, the questions increase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks