dvd and component hookup question??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kamal_K, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Kamal_K

Kamal_K Stunt Coordinator

Hello, I will be getting my mitsu 55511 and toshiba sd4800 dvd player soon, since I know almost nothing about component hookup, I have a question. I have been told to hook the player up straight to the tv and not go thru the receiver but I want my sound to come thru my 5 speakers and sub and not thru the tv speakers. my receiver does not have a component hookup. how can I still get sound from my 5 speakers. thanks

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Kamal, the hookup between your DVD player and TV will be strictly video (not audio). You will get a component cable (3 RCA cables R, G and B) to do this connection to your TV. The audio hookup will be between the DVD player and your receiver using either a digital coaxial connector (looks like a single RCA cable) or with a digital optical cable (fiber optic).

3. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

Use the component video connections from your DVD player to your TV. If possible, use a digital audio connection from your DVD player to your receiver. Depending on your receiver you may be able to use a coaxial cable or an optical cable. For multi channel DVD-Audio playback you will need to connect the DVD player's 6-channel audio output to a receiver that has a set of multi-channel input jacks.

4. Kamal_K

thank you very much, now it makes sense to me.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Kamal, what kind of receiver do you have? It is capable of decoding standard Dolby Digital and/or DTS 5.1 isn't it?

6. Kamal_K

yes it is, it is a sony strde845