What's new

DVD Analog Connection? (1 Viewer)

Scott Reiss

Agent
Thanks to this excellent forum, I am now the owner of a new receiver (Pioneer VSX-D811S) which is a huge step up from the Kenwood VR-209 I've had for the last couple years. Now the REAL upgrade-itis hits....

My question is: in the manual, it says that it's a good idea to also connect the analog audio from the DVD to the receiver in addition to the digital audio. Why would that be? Also, I think I had to tell my DVD to output bitstream, so even if it were connected, would the DVD player even transmit anything?

Thanks and I really like this receiver for the money, as many have remarked here.

Scott in CT

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Congratulations on the upgrade, I hope it works out well for you. As you suspected using both analogue and digital connections is unnecessary, there's nothing to be gained by doing so.

Bill_Moore

Grip
Well, the explanation that was in the instruction manual of my player indicated that some CD tracks or MP3 tracks might not send an audio signal through the digital output....then you'd hear nothing without the analog. I don't know if this is anything that happens much, if ever...but that's the "why" anyway.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if this is anything that happens much, if ever...but that's the "why" anyway.
Some of the new "high-bitrate" cd's are like this. Some CD's are recorded at 96 Khz sampling - 4 times an ordinary CD. But there is no standard to transmit this to your receiver digitally. So you would need the ANALOG connections to take advantage of this.

Scott Reiss

Agent
Sounds to me like I could get away with never doing it and never know the difference. Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks