DVD alone or DVD/IScan choice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike OConnell, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    I am contemplating an upgrade to my DVD player, but want to get some opinions on what route, if any, I should take.

First, the current system:

Sony DVPC660 DVD Changer using component out to Denon 5800
    JVC HR-S7800U SVHS VCR using S-Video out to Denon 5800
    Denon 5800 A/V Receiver with component and S-video out to IScan
    iScan Pro Video Doubler with 5-BNC out to SE13HD Input 2
    Studio Experience 13HD LCD Projector showing to a Stewart 100” Grayhawk 16:9 Screen

Option 1:
    Sell DVD Changer and IScan
    Buy new Progressive Scan DVD Player (Budget $1000)
    Use Input 1 on SE13HD for DVD component connection
    Use Input 2 on SE13HD for VCR S-Video Connection

Question on Option 1: Would I get better DVD picture?

Option 2:
    Sell DVD Player and buy new Interlaced DVD Player (Budget $600) - no other changes. For example, I can get a Denon 3300 for $600.

Question on Option 2: Would this give me any better picture?

Option 3:
    Same as Option 1, but keep the IScan for the VCR and run a 3-BNC (Component) out to SE13HD Input 2.
    Budget for DVD Player would now be $600.

Same Question.

Basically - Can I get a better picture for under $1000 purchasing a PS DVD Player versus an interlaced player with my current IScan?

Thanks,
    Mike

Question on Option 2: Would I get a

2. Luis C

Luis C Stunt Coordinator

Mike,
    I am an alpha station for SI and we need to clear up a few points here...
    1) The Iscan PRO you have is a line doubler and a scaler thus it serves purposes that a progressive-scan DVD unit does not.
    2) The Iscan converts all the inputs (composite and S-vid) into scaled/doubled RGB out that no DVD player does.
    3) You did not mention if you use this system for normal NTSC broadcasts? If you don't you really need to see reg TV thru the IScan - eye opening.
    One last note... after extensive eval of the IScan, I would recommend you change your configuration:
    a) bypass the switching control in the receiver and input all the video signals directly into the IScan. It has a auto-select function for signal input with a default setting. This will allow the IScan to do all the vid processing rather than going thru the rcvr's electronics which are all inferior to the ISCan.
    b)Although DVD changers are convenient, I would recommend buying a single disc unit of the best possible performance you can afford (progressive scan or not) and run it in the configuration mentioned above. I think you will be amazed at the results. If you can find one, get a Tosh-4700 DVD player... incredible picture for @ $250 and thru the IScan! Woohoo!! [​IMG]

3. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    Luis:

Thanks for your reply. I do agree that the IScan will definitely help my system with regards to NTSC TV as it takes 480i signals and converts them to 480p. However, this is line doubling, and not scaling. The IScan does not perform scaling....at least that is not what I am led to believe based on my Owner's manual....

However, the main part of the question is: at what price point would I have to spend on a progressive scan DVD (480p output) player to get a better picture going to the SE13HD directly from the DVD player, versus an interlaced signal (480i) going to the IScan then to the SE13HD at 480p?

The second quesiton would be at what price would I have to spend to get any significant improvement in interlaced output DVD player versus my current Sony, either one going through the IScan.

Thanks,
    Mike

4. Luis C

Luis C Stunt Coordinator

Significant is a relative thing... there is soooo much going on when the signal is ran thru the IScan that its a tough call to determine what would make the output better. The IScan is that good... its a tough act to follow. The most critical aspect of video playback is the black/white/grey scale reproduction of both the player and the projector. IMHO, you will be better off spending the money on a good calibration job than trying to beat your players output. There are a few DVD players out there at a reasonable price that do an excellent job of transmitting the recorded signal well, one of them being the Tosh-4700 (@$250) I spoke of. It has an incredible ability to resolve black/white/grey level and the color purity is second to none. You have to spend upwards of $1000 to even match its video performance... just don't use it as a CD player! [​IMG]
    I would keep the IScan, rewire it as I mentioned before and get a calibration done (gonna cost you $350-$500 for a projector) and see if you can get the Tosh on a buy/return basis so you can eval the difference. I think you will be surprised at what a calibration will do to your pic (if you haven't had it done yet).

5. TimG

TimG Second Unit

If you use the I-Scan for anything else besides dvd keep it, if that is all you use it for then get a progressive scan player and sell the I-Scan. I was also under the impression that all the the I-Scan did was take in 480i and output 480p, which I always understood as line doubling. It also will only put out a specific resolution, so you aren't able to change it to a "desired native resolution", which in essence it can't be called a scaler can it? Maybe we are just talking symantics though? [​IMG]
    TimG

6. Luis C

Luis C Stunt Coordinator

BTW Mike,

One additional DVD player you want to consider is the Philips DVDQ50AT... gorgeous picture and black/shadow detail. Can be had at CC for $299.00

Top of the pile picture quality (w/ or w/o the IScan) at any price. Scads ahead of anything else reasonably priced (>$3000)... well worth finding and trying out.