DVD advice

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Michael_Gamrat, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Michael_Gamrat

Michael_Gamrat Auditioning

Hey all,

I just purchased a new rear-projection HDTV monitor, Toshiba model 57HX83. I was using a PS2 for a DVD player, but I figure with this new tv, it would be nice to get something with better resolution.

I'm looking at the Denon DVM-1815. I've heard some good things about it, I like Denon as a brand, and I like the 5-disc feature. The only thing that is keeping me from buying one is the thought that one of the up-scaling DVD players (Samsung, Liteon) would have a much better picture. So, my question is: Do the up-scaling DVD players have that much better of a picture over progressive scan? Also, I'm not sure what the native display is for my new tv, so that could be a factor. Thanks for any help.

-Mike

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

No, the upscaling models are not better - you can't add resolution to the basic source DVD resolution and you get all of that with a good progressive scan player like the Denons. Those Liteons have reliability problems too and the newest model doesn't support 1080i HD output anymore anyway.

3. Jason*H

Jason*H Agent

Don you are quite negative toward the new upscaling dvd players. Have you had the opportunity to test one out. I like mine very much . I would recommend one to somebody that it looking for a decent picture that doesn't want to re-mortgage the house

4. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

The lite-on 2001 will put the Denon to shame....I saw one with my brother's projector and it was great compared to the Denon 1600...