What's new

DVD advice (1 Viewer)

Michael_Gamrat

Auditioning
Hey all,

I just purchased a new rear-projection HDTV monitor, Toshiba model 57HX83. I was using a PS2 for a DVD player, but I figure with this new tv, it would be nice to get something with better resolution.

I'm looking at the Denon DVM-1815. I've heard some good things about it, I like Denon as a brand, and I like the 5-disc feature. The only thing that is keeping me from buying one is the thought that one of the up-scaling DVD players (Samsung, Liteon) would have a much better picture. So, my question is: Do the up-scaling DVD players have that much better of a picture over progressive scan? Also, I'm not sure what the native display is for my new tv, so that could be a factor. Thanks for any help.

-Mike

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
No, the upscaling models are not better - you can't add resolution to the basic source DVD resolution and you get all of that with a good progressive scan player like the Denons. Those Liteons have reliability problems too and the newest model doesn't support 1080i HD output anymore anyway.

Jason*H

Agent
Don you are quite negative toward the new upscaling dvd players. Have you had the opportunity to test one out. I like mine very much . I would recommend one to somebody that it looking for a decent picture that doesn't want to re-mortgage the house

anthony_b

Screenwriter
The lite-on 2001 will put the Denon to shame....I saw one with my brother's projector and it was great compared to the Denon 1600...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks