What's new

DVD-A without the 'A'? (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I don't have a DVD-A player, but there are a lot of great titles on DVD-A. It is my understanding that they have tracks on them that can be played on a regular DVD player, seperate from the DVD-A track. If so, is it worth getting the DVD-As just for the DVD tracks?

I just picked up a DVD of Handel's Messiah. It isn't DVD-A, just has a 5.1 and DTS track. It sounds pretty cool, if only for the fact that the the chorus bursts out from all around me. Is it correct to assume that the non-DVD-A tracks on the DVD-A discs are basically the same thing, just a DD 5.1 track? Do they also come with stereo tracks?

NP: the aforementioned Messiah DVD

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, if you like multi-channel music, then, yes, I think it is worth buying DVD-Audio discs for playback on a DVD-Video player. However, many DVD-Audio discs only have a Dolby Digital track for playback on DVD-Video playback, and I feel that Dolby Digital is often unsuitable for music. DTS comes much closer to the sound quality of DVD-Audio. DVD-Audio is better yet. Anyway, I think DVD-Audio discs played on a DVD-Video player are a nice alternative to CDs, but given the noticeably higher resolution of DVD-Audio and the fact that some DVD-Audio players are available for cheap these days, I would go for the gusto, so to speak.

Back in the fall of 2000, I bought a handful of DVD-Audio discs before picking up a DVD-Audio player and enjoyed playing the discs on my DVD-Video player. However, I suggest you consider grabbing an inexpensive DVD-Audio player. Once you hear DVD-Audio, you will never play these discs on your DVD-Video player again. I haven't at least. In addition to higher-resolution surround sound, many DVD-Audio discs often give you a high-resolution stereo track. That's very important to me.

You can get a decent DVD-Audio player these days for under $300. Consider the Panasonic DVD-RA60 for $200.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Keith, I would like to get a DVD-A player. The thing is, I just got a SACD player, and it would be strapping my budget to get another player. I got a cheaper SACD player, but upgraded shortly thereafter to a nicer model. I don't want to do the same thing with a DVD-A player. If I'm going to get one, it's going to be good (and it would also act as my DVD player, and would have to have a digital coax output, etc). I don't know how much of a difference in sound there is between a cheaper DVD-A player and a pricier one, but if it's anything like SACD, I'll hold off until I can afford a better one.

As for the DVD-A discs, I'd like to replace my classical CD collection with high-res discs, because I never listen to classical outside the house, so it would be nice to have them all in high-res. The Messiah DVD is really nice, so I'm thinking of getting the classical DVD-As so I can have more like that.

NP: Mark O'Connor, The American Seasons, SACD multi-channel

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Mike,
If you have the best (Super Audio) why try the rest?
:laugh:
Lee
Now Playing: Mahler Symphony #6 (pure DSD SACD) from San Francisco Symphony with Michael Tilson Thomas.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I understand your point. However, DVD-Audio on a $200 player like the Panasonic 'RA60 will still beat Dolby Digital or DTS on a DVD-Video player. Anyway, if you save some cash, you could always get the Panasonic 'RP91 for around $500. It has a coaxial digital output. Panasonic is also coming out with the 'RP82 soon, though I don't know what it will sell for. If you were to buy an inexpensive DVD-Audio player now, would you have a place to use it if you were to replace it with a better model later on? For example, could you use the cheaper DVD-Audio player for movies in a bedroom or something? Just a thought. That way, buying the cheaper player wouldn't be a total waste. Of course, the 'RA60 has no coaxial digital output. I don't know about the budget Toshiba or JVC players. I think the Toshiba players have coaxial digital outputs.

Anyway, don't get me wrong. I respect your desire to wait for a better player. I was just thinking of a cheap entry into DVD-Audio.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Is the Pioneer combo DVD-A / SACD player still a pipe dream? How long until we'll see a quality combo player for less than, say, $500 ??? And I do realize some people don't think you can buy anything quality for less than $500 but I'm looking for some more realistic opinions. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg asked:

Is the Pioneer combo DVD-A / SACD player still a pipe dream?
You do realize that the Pioneer Elite DV-47A is out, don't you? It's been out for over a month and has been reviewed by both Sound & Vision and Home Theater. See the current issues of both magazines. Now, it is not $500, but it is available. J&R Music World sells it for $800 and Tweeter has it for $1000. I have not heard of any universal players coming down the pike for $500 or less, and I am not counting the APEX AD-7701.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Mike,
NP: Miles Davis, Sketches of Spain, SACD
Excellent taste, per usual.
Now for some shameless self-promotion. Do you have McCoy Tyner New York Reunion from Chesky? (from PCM master but still good sound)
Since you like classic jazz, I think you might like it. I worked on this as the third engineer. I miked the session and Joe Henderson's saxophone and worked on cable improvements. We also set up the classic shot of McCoy Tyner listening to playback on the Stax headphones.
McCoy was a real pleasure to work with. I also fetched cigarettes for Ron Carter. On a small label, you do everything to keep everyone happy.
Anyway, sorry for the trip down memory lane.
:)
Lee

ReggieW

Screenwriter
.....Back to the DVD-A discussion.

Mike, I would wait for the Panasonic RP-82 in July. It seems like quite a winner. I believe that prices have come so low that there is no reason not to buy a DVD-A capable player now with a few going for under/around 200.00 online from JVC, Panasonic, and Toshiba.

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I understand your situation. As I said, I was just throwing out options. Don't kick yourself too hard for not buying the '47A. Although I have not used it, I have read comments on Audio Asylum stating that the weak link of this player is SACD playback relative to Sony players. I wouldn't take that as gospel, but it is something to consider. It wouldn't surprise me if a do-it-all were lacking in certain areas. As long as you are happy with your SACD player, don't sweat it.

Regarding DVD-Audio players, I agree with Reggie that you should look at the Panasonic 'RP82 when it comes out. As you are probably aware, people have raved about the 'RP91, especially as a DVD-Video player (no chroma bug). Also consider the Denon DVD-1600. The one problem I have with the '1600 is that at $500, it has no coaxial digital output. Still, my guess is that it is a quality machine.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Well, I got the Elite DV-47A yesterday.
I had a 30-day return policy on my SACD player. I bought it on March 21. Yesterday was April 21st. I called up the Tweeter from which I got it, made sure I can still return it, and asked if they had the Elite. Yes to everything. I rushed over with my player and a couple of CDs, and did some comparison listening (after having them rearranging the whole store for me to set it up).
My timing couldn't have been more exact. It was the last day of the return policy and I got the last Elite player they had. It was like an episode of '24.'
The Elite player is only $200 more than the Sony SACD player. Besides the ability to play DVD-As, it also has a coaxial output, which my other DVD player does not have. This will come in handy when I get my new DirecTV/UltimateTV receiver that uses an optical out, as my receiver only has one optical input.
While listening, I heard no difference between the two with SACD playback. I'll be the first to admit that my hearing isn't nearly as good as some of you guys, but I heard a big difference the last time I upgraded the player. I wasn't expecting the Elite to sound better, I just didn't want it to sound worse. CDs sounded a little better on the Elite.
So, now I can play everything on every format. Yippee! :D
I also picked up two DVD-As to play with the new format: Bach organ music and Metallica's self-titled. Sounds great! The Metallica sounded a bit odd at times, but I think my poor rear-speaker setup is to blame. I'm ashamed to admit that they are pretty crappy and not placed in the right position (money and room setup are limiting me). After I pay off this new player, I'll invest in some rear speakers, probably the B&W 601s (I have 602s as my mains).
The organ music sounded really cool. Toccata & Fugue in D minor (it's that organ thing that's in a lot of old horror movies and such) in surround. Excellent.
Unfortunately, my local Best Buy does not have a good DVD-A selection. It looks like I'll have to find those on-line.
NP: Miles Davis, Live at the Fillmore East, CD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks