What's new

DVD-A vs. SACD (1 Viewer)

Kirk S

Auditioning
I don't want to start a flame war between the aspects of both formats. I want to do my own comparison of the two.

I've have some excellent SACD titles & SACD sounds great.
I have 2 DVD-A titles: Yes-Fragile & Eagles-Hotel California that don't sound as good. Can anyone recommend a title that really shows the full range of DVD-A?? Rock is preferable but Classical / Pop / or Fusion Jazz will work.

Thanks!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
For DVDA, I would recommend the recordings on the AIX label. They sound wonderful. Also, the Buck Pizzarelli Swing Live DVDA from Chesky is superb as well.

:)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry you're not pleased with Fragile, as it's one of my favorite rock DVD-As.

The only rock DVD-A I like more is Queen's A Night at the Opera.

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Yes' "Fragile" DVD-A sounds incredibly good - something is wrong with your system...

PS This sounds suspiciously like the late 1980's posts criticizing CDs with audible tape hiss...

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I hate to sound dumb,I guess uneducated would be the word,but who Fagen?I have been looking at dvd-a and sacd software as I plan to purchase the new Pioneer universal player if ad when it ever streets.I keep seeing his dvd-a and it looks good by the cover but..

Also,while I am here,how the new Fleetwood Mac,Say you will and Rumors dvd-a and the Metallica dvd-a?

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Donald Fagan is 1/2 of Steely Dan (Walter Becker is the other half). If you like the Dan, then you should like Fagan's 2 solo LPs.

Kirk S

Auditioning
What are you playing the dvd-a on compared to what you are playing the sacd on?

RobBenton:

I'm using the Denon DVD-2900. It is quite the excellent unit. BTW I've got Donald Fagen's The Nightfly and it sounds crisp and clean compared to Yes and the Eagles.

I'm on the fence for both formats, but I think it really depends on the original source masters and how much attention to detail was paid during the re-mastering process. Garbage in = Garbage out. Besides the Yes - Fragile is 30 years old and at the time increasing the bass levels was a more common practice.

Thanks everyone for your responses!!

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
Kirk S., I agree with Mike B. and Ken S. - I think that "Fragile" on DVD-a is great. Especially when you consider how old a recording it is. The album really comes alive on DVD-A.

Mike, I read your list of cds/dvds; if you don't have "Symphonic Live Yes" do yourself a favor and get it!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ben, I did hear a Symphonic Yes CD a while back and didn't like it. Nor did I like similar albums made for Tull, Floyd, or that thing Metallica did with an orchestra.

I just can't dig orchestras with rock bands. It always sounds so phony.

Yes' last album, Magnification, had an orchestra but it wasn't bad because it was new music written for that arrangement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks