DVD-A track change=audio drop - Player or Disc?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alan_Horner, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

I posted this question in the Music area and got no response, so I thought I'd try posting it here:
    Two of my DVD-A discs, when played on my Toshiba 4700, produce a short audio drop whenever a track change occurs in what should be continuous sound (i.e., no breaks). The problem is most annoying on the Olivia Newton-John One Woman's Live Journey disc because there's an audio drop for all 21 tracks (well, except track 1 at the start of the disc). Granted, this is only a problem on titles where the music is continuous, but it's very irritating! [​IMG]
    I don't know if this is a problem with my player or just the result of bad authoring. I hope it's not an inherent flaw with the DVD-A format. I know that a lot of the early CD-R software couldn't avoid a pause between tracks; does anyone know if something similar is going on with DVD-A?

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

What receiver are you using and what connection are you using? Digital? A few receivers have been found to cause drop-outs when playing back CD's connected via digital cables. Marantz 5200/6200/7200 and Onkyo 797 are two receivers I have noticed the problem from first hand experience.

3. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Alan,

since you are using an analog connection, my guess is that this is not your recevier having a drop out. It's either the disc is mastered or a "feature" of your player

4. Alan_Horner

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I suggest you go through the search of the Hardware forum and use Toshiba 4700 as your keywords. There was a discussion of this player a week or so ago. If I recall, there were some criticism of audio drop outs with the Toshiba 4700. I may reassess my decision on what player to get.

6. Alan_Horner