What's new

DVD-A track change=audio drop - Player or Disc? (1 Viewer)

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
I posted this question in the Music area and got no response, so I thought I'd try posting it here:
Two of my DVD-A discs, when played on my Toshiba 4700, produce a short audio drop whenever a track change occurs in what should be continuous sound (i.e., no breaks). The problem is most annoying on the Olivia Newton-John One Woman's Live Journey disc because there's an audio drop for all 21 tracks (well, except track 1 at the start of the disc). Granted, this is only a problem on titles where the music is continuous, but it's very irritating! :angry:
I don't know if this is a problem with my player or just the result of bad authoring. I hope it's not an inherent flaw with the DVD-A format. I know that a lot of the early CD-R software couldn't avoid a pause between tracks; does anyone know if something similar is going on with DVD-A?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
What receiver are you using and what connection are you using? Digital? A few receivers have been found to cause drop-outs when playing back CD's connected via digital cables. Marantz 5200/6200/7200 and Onkyo 797 are two receivers I have noticed the problem from first hand experience.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Alan,

since you are using an analog connection, my guess is that this is not your recevier having a drop out. It's either the disc is mastered or a "feature" of your player

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
It's either the disc is mastered or a "feature" of your player.
That's pretty much what I thought. I wanted to post the question here in the hope that someone might recognize the problem and tell me that it's a simple setting change on the DVD player.
I would think that listeners of classical music on DVD-A would have noticed the problem, as track changes often occur in the middle of a classical piece. The lack of any obvious outcry leads me to think it might be my Toshiba 4700. :frowning:
Anyone have any idea?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I suggest you go through the search of the Hardware forum and use Toshiba 4700 as your keywords. There was a discussion of this player a week or so ago. If I recall, there were some criticism of audio drop outs with the Toshiba 4700. I may reassess my decision on what player to get.

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
I suggest you go through the search of the Hardware forum and use Toshiba 4700 as your keywords. There was a discussion of this player a week or so ago. If I recall, there were some criticism of audio drop outs with the Toshiba 4700.
Marty, that thread (and I did do a search) dealt with audio dropouts happening during playback of DTS or Dolby Digital soundtracks from regular DVD-V discs. For some, the problem was resolved by switching from an optical to a coaxial hookup on audio out. For me, my 4700 has only produced the soundtrack dropout on the DTS audio for the Burton remake of Planet of the Apes. Switching to coaxial only helped deplete my wallet another 25 bucks for the coaxial cable! :)
This is a different situation from the one I'm experiencing with DVD-A titles where track changes produce momentary dropouts in what's supposed to be continuous music. The pause in sound between tracks is really annoying, but I still don't know if it's the player or the disc.
Just imagine how you'd feel if the video on DVDs blanked for a second or two every time a new chapter stop came up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks