dvd-a stereo tracks

Discussion in 'Music' started by ElevSkyMovie, Dec 15, 2003.

1. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

If a dvd-audio disc has a stereo track in the video section (video_ts folder), can it be any resolution or is it usually 24/96? This is a separate stereo track than the one in the audio_ts folder, correct?

thanks.

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I don't believe there is a std. Yes some discs have a provision to get hi-res from the DVD-V. Also some DVD-A players will only output 48k (some one can select on a menu between 48k or 96k) on a DVD-V track. There are discussions such as this as well: http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?f...IX&r=&session=

3. ElevSkyMovie

Thanks Phil.

I just bought Empire by Queensryche on dvd-audio. I assumed it would have a track I could play on my laptop (with a 16 bit soundcard). I'm not sure what the default playback option was, but the volume was compressing a lot, so I assume it was DD or DTS (folding down the surround to stereo). There is a "stereo high-resolution" track on the menu, but it doesn't say what the specs for it are. I know most regular dvd-players can play up to 24/96 from the stereo outputs now, but I didn't know if the labels put in a 16/48 or 16/44.1 track for backwards compatibility or not.

I guess the answer is it depends on the disc.

Does anyone know how to reliably know what specs the tracks are in? I don't think my Toshiba 4700 dvd-audio player outputs those numbers on it's display (but I could be wrong).

4. Michael St. Clair

A stereo track on the DVD-V side would usually be one of these:

DD2.0 (192k, 256k, 384k, 448k, possibly other bitrates)
    16 bit PCM at (48 or 96 khz sampling rate)
    24 bit PCM at (48 or 96 khz sampling rate)

It totally depends on the disc.

DVD-A supports 44.1 and 88.2 (plus the high-res rates of 176.4, and 192kHz), but I'm unsure about DVD-V...I don't think I've seen a DVD-V disc or section that uses those two rates.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

6. ElevSkyMovie

The disc packaging doesn't say what's on it. The stereo track I am referring to is in the dvd-video section. When you run it with dvd player software, the menu says it has DD and DTS surround tracks and I quote "high-resolution stereo". That's all it says. I know that specs say that labels can put 24 bit tracks in this section, I just don't know how common it is.

I am able to get the stereo files to play, and they sound fine. I think they are 16/48. Until they can get a cd layer, it would be nice to have a 16/44.1 track so it can be played on computers.

7. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Michael,

You're correct... Only multiples of 48kHz for DVD-Video.

44.1 and 48k multiples are permitted for DVD-Audio.

Cheers,

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

For a full list of dvd-audio specs, go here:

Panasonic's dvd-audio site across the Atlantic :^)

First pick a language, then click on "About dvd technology", then from the list choose "dvd-audio benefits". A separate Flash pop-up will appear; then choose "main specifications".

As far as a player preventing a 96kHz track from being output, that is concerned with the digital output, and is totally up to the disc's manufacturer/artist. The analog output will be unaffected.

LJ

9. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
  10. ElevSkyMovie

I assume there are seperate stereo files in the audio and video section, correct? The audio folder should have a better stereo track than 16/48 I would think.

As long as the most dvd-audio discs have DD or a 16 bit pcm track, then I can play it on the laptop and not have to buy the cd version of it.

11. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor