dvd-a settings on Panny rp91

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MitchJS, Nov 29, 2002.

1. MitchJS

MitchJS Extra

I'm looking for the optimal audio menu settings for dvd-audio playback on a Panny RP91 dvd player?
    SPEAKER SETTING: multi-channel or 2-channel?
    DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT: ON (remaster off), ON (remaster on) or OFF?
    PCM DOWN CONVERSION: NO or YES?
    DOLBY DIGITAL: PCM or BITSTREAM?
    DTS: PCM OR BITSTREAM?

Any other setup advice from owners of this player would be appreciated?

2. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

You might want to tell us a little about the rest of your equipment. Type of speakers and HT processor at a bare minimum.

For instance, here is what I have:

Denon AVR-2700 receiver (only decodes Dolby digital - NO DTS)
    Full-range mains (i.e. large speakers)
    Normal center (i.e. small speaker)
    Satellite surrounds (i.e. very small)
    NO subwoofer

Then we could help optimize that RP-91 - I'm listening to Bucky Pizzarelli's Swing Live DVD-Audio right now on mine and it is just fabulous. Anyway, get back to us and we'll chime in.

Lin

3. MitchJS

MitchJS Extra

Sorry, I should have listed my setup in the first post.
    Here is a breakdown of my components:
    Panny RP91 dvd player
    Marantz SR8000 receiver (5.1 with DD and DTS decoding)
    Front left/right and center speakers are Monitor Audio
    SVS subwoofer
    NHT rear surrounds
    Toshiba 50hx81 wide screen hi-def ready tv

Connections:
    Toslink digital optical from DVD to receiver
    6 analog rca cables from DVD to receiver (for dvd-a)
    Silver serpent component video from DVD player to TV

I think this should cover my current setup.

4. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

Here's what I would suggest and this is based on my assumption that your Marantz can NOT handle 88.2 kHz signals:

Multi-Channel (since you have 5.1)
    On (Re-Master Off) (this will allow your Marantz to decode most of the stuff)
    No (don't think the Marantz can handle yes)
    Bitstream (let the Marantz do it)
    Bitstream (let the Marantz do it)

Hope this helps and keep in mind these are just suggestions. You can always play around with them and see which ones sound best to your ears.

Here are my settings:

Multi-Channel
    Off (I let the DVD player decode everything which supposedly makes analog sound better)
    No (my receiver can't handle)
    PCM
    PCM

This means the DVD player handles all decoding of DD, DTS, and DVD-A. I just have RCA cables running to the 6 channel input on my receiver and that's it.

Lin

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

And just FYI, don't expect to play the DD track of a DVD-A disc on the RP-91 (I also own one), I have yet to figure out how to do so, and no one else has come up with a way to do so.

6. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

At this point, it will probably take a firmware upgrade from version 250 to fix that. But, keep in mind that this is also disc specific. You can access the DD/DTS track of Queen: A Night at the Opera from the RP-91, but after hearing the DVD-A side, why would you want to? [​IMG]
    Lin

7. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

The RP-91 does not have bass management for dvd-audio, so be careful if you have really small satellites (i.e., with approximately 4" or less midbass drivers).
    BTW:
    1) Running your player's analog inputs into a receiver that does not have either a 100% analog path to its power amplifier OR does not use chips capable of 192kHz signal processing will degrade the player's signal. Or, if the receiver uses chips running at 96kHz, that will be the maximum resolution you will actually hear. If it uses 48kHz chips, then that will be the max resolution that reaches your speakers, regardless of what the dvd-audio player itself is generating.
    2) A dvd-audio's hi-rez (96kHz or 192kHz) signal, will not originate from the digital outputs due to copying concerns [​IMG]. And NO dvd-audio multichannel PCM signal will make it out of the digital output.
    LJ

8. MitchJS

MitchJS Extra

My receiver's (Marantz SR8000) manual says that it has 96kHz/24 bit decoding, so I guess I'm not getting the full potential resolution or frequency that is possible from dvd-a. Is there any way to tell what bandwith is being output from the dvd player or the receiver? If not then you never really know if you are getting optimal sound.

As for bass management, I know that I can't change the bass level on the receiver when using the 6 channel analog inputs, but I can raise (or lower) the subwoofer level on both the dvd player and the receiver. I have tried 3 different dvd-audio disks and they all seem to be sending lfe signals to the sub, but not nearly as much bass as the digital surround (DTS) hookup . The disks I have are: Yes-Fragile, Eagles-Hotel Calif. and Queen-Night at the Opera. I'm very impressed with the sound quality and seperation when playing these discs using the dvd-a setup. The Yes album is very impressive with all the organ and electronics that are recorded on that disc.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I tried the settings that were recommended and I think I was able to experience true dvd-audio. I really enjoy that format, but I can see how certain audiophiles will think the music sounds contrived or computerized to achieve 5.1 surround sound. I wish there was a larger selection of discs to choose from. I would love any recommendations of online sources that sell dvd-a music.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Off the top of my head, try DVD Planet for DVD-A's.