What's new

DVD-A /SACD with 44.1kHz amp? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Stanton

Stunt Coordinator
We are in need of a new DVD player, and was considering getting one that's DVD-A/SACD capable. I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 A/V receiver, which has a 44.1 kHz processor (with the extra 6 analog line-ins in the back). Since DVD-A is based on 96 kHz processing, can I use DVD-A (or SACD) from one of the new-fangled DVD players with my "slower processing" Yamaha amp?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Any new player will not pass ANY digital data from a hi-rez source. Copy protection issues being the reason.

There are some high dolalr Denon and Pioneer recievers that will work with their own upscale players, but right now, thats about it.

You will only be able to pass PCM and DD/DTS to your Yammy via a digital connection. If it does have a 5.1 Analog In, that will be the only method to connect to any of the new hi-rez MC players.

BGL

Jeffrey Stanton

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Brian:

Thanks for the response. (We recently moved to N.C. from Roswell, N.M.)...

In any case, I suspect from your answer that MAYBE the 44.1 kHz processor of the Yammy would be an issue ONLY IF we were talking about a digital connection (which we aren't)?

In other words, since the processing for DVD-A/SACD is done by THE PLAYER, the processor of the amp is irrelevant?

I've got the 5.1 pre-ins on the Yammy, all I want to know is if I can use a DVD-A/SACD player with the Yammy's analog 5.1 connections...

Thanks

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
As Justin said you are good to go with the 6.1 inputs.

Quite a climate change from Roswell to N.C., and a lot fewer aliens too:D

When you get the new player, you may want to hook up the digital connection, in addition to the 6.1 analogs. That way, you can still use the Yammy for DD,DTS,and PCM, and take advantage of all the ambience processing modes that Yammy is famous for.

The player will handle DVD-A and SACD and send it along in analog.

A word of caution. Do a search here for Bass Management. Most of the currently available universal players do not do BM properly, which can mean that bass is not sent where it needs to be. I suspect that your Yammy, like most receivers or pre/pro's does not apply BM to the 6CH inputs.

Some of the newer players (not yet out such as a new one from Denon, and a Pioneer) may do it right. No one will know until they get one and test it. I have a Pioneer 45a, which gets it wrong in several ways (search 45A if you want the whole story).

The point, if I have one, is if you buy a player today, you may want to budget for an Outlaw ICBM ($250 + cables). It will go between your player and Yammy, and it does BM 100% right. Thats what I did, and a lot of other universal owners are doing as well.

Good Luck,

BGL

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Jeffrey: Make sure the Yamaha is not doing ANY digital processing on those analog inputs--many receivers do!

LJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks