DVD-A & SACD... What to do ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gordon Wakim, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Gordon Wakim

Gordon Wakim Stunt Coordinator

I am trying to decide which route to take concerning DVD-A and SACD. On one hand I can get one of the new universal players that can play both formats. On the other hand, I can get two units, one for SACD and one for DVD-A. I am also going to use one of these for video playback as well. I have a chance to get a good deal on a Panasonic RP-91K. I could also get a Sony unit for SACD. The cost of the two would be about the same or a bit less than one of the better universal units. The problem is that I will be running these through a Yamaha RX-V995 Receiver which only has one set of 5.1 inputs. Those of you who have multiple machines, how do you use both ? Do you switch the wires back & forth between machines or has anybody come with some kind of switch box that would let you switch back & forth between the two ? (A-B Switch) Of all the reading I have done, it seems that the Yamaha S2300 is looking to be a good machine, But cost is a bit high. Onkyo and Pioneer have chroma bug and seem to lack in the bass management.
    I am not sure which direction to go at this point. I am open to any opinions & ideas. Should I get two machines, or wait and get a universal player ?

2. AustinKW

AustinKW Stunt Coordinator

You've almost got it right. Get two machines - one a universal for DVD-Audio and SACD and the other a DVD-Video player. As video standards and implementation change, toss the player and get a new one. Keep the DVD-A/SACD universal until something interesting happens with digital audio. The digital interface (iLink 1394) is a good example of the next thing to happen in this area. If you go this way, you will be separating (and optimizing) audio and video - always a good idea. Good luck.

Austin

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I and others on the forum use a pair of Radio Shack A/V switchboxes to switch between DVD-A and SACD. In my case I also use it to select DD from LDs as I have an old DD decoder with an RF demodulator (necessary for DD from LaserDisc) built in. This solution works great. It is nice to have both formats since there is good software for both and they both sound great. A universal player is the best option.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I also use the Radio Shack video switchers that Philip mentions. They work fine.

I ended up with separate players mostly by accident -- I was buying each for a different need. I purchased a Panasonic RP-91 for its video features, and got DVD-Audio as an added feature. Then, I decided to upgrade my redbook CD performance by adding a Sony 555ES CD carousel player, and got SACD as a bonus.

The biggest drawback I now have is that should I decide to upgrade my DVD-Video performance, I will need to make sure that any new player has DVD-Audio capability. That leaves out the new Philips player. Unfortunately, Panasonic seems to be cheapening their line in 2003 -- there is no real replacement for either the RP-91 or RP-82 (I would love a player that combines the best of each of those models).

5. michael Scott

I would also like to set both DVD Audio and SACD. Scott, am I to understand that 2 of these Radio Shack switchers are needed. Lots of cables back there[​IMG] Tell me more about these switches.

Mike

6. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

I would think that those switch-boxes would degrade the signal....

7. michael Scott

I would think the same thing........

8. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I would also agree on that thinking....

And I also considered this fact for my economics gettign two players was silly, two separate decent players would probably cost me 800-1000 canadian easily. then there is the ICBM because most single players dont offer this, thats 250-300 then there are the rat shack switch boxes what lets be generouis and say 50 dollars then there are 6 audio cables from each player to the switch box then 6 more to the ICBM then another six to the receiver. so thats 18 extra audio cables i would need even if i got them for 10 dollars each it would be 180 dollars, but its more likely id be paying 500 as a minimum for these cables, plus another set of component cables if i want dvd playback from both players.... this means i spend a total of what 1700-2000 there about. or i could just get a universal player for much less. you have to look at the total cost. (this is assuming the iniversal palyer has BM hence no ICBM, and a whole lot less cables, and no degredation in the switch boxes.) of course you could always assum that if a switch box is used from rat shack then rat shack cables of the same quality would be all you need.... that cuts costs a bit.

9. Scott Merryfield

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

11. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

12. michael Scott

Thanks for the information guys.........[​IMG]

13. Jose T

Jose T Stunt Coordinator

I was faced with the same issue a few months ago when upgrading and set up another ysstem in my home. I prefer SACD format to DVD-A but wanted to have both in the new set up. I have the Panny RP-91 with its DVD-A cabilites and Sony 555 ES for SACD's. Instead of using the switch box , i purschase the Sony EA-4 reciever which has dual multi channel outputs. Yes, its more cables but spreate and disinct compoents. So far so good as I have the best of both sound worlds. Hope that helps. There is another switch box porduct aht has recieved good reviews but don't recall the name. It also has a remote feature instead of the A& B switch function.

14. Gordon Wakim

Gordon Wakim Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I have still not made a decision yet, but I am swaying towards waiting and trying to find a Universal Player that I like. So far the Yamaha S-2300 seems promising, but I have found very little information about it. If anybody knows, how is the bass management on this unit ?, is it good enough that I would not have to get a Outlaw ICBM ? I understand that the it has some of the Panasonic RP-82 components inside of it, so video should be pretty good. I have not been able to find any reviews of this unit yet.

15. michael Scott

Gordon,
    I think Sound & Vision just did a review on the Yamaha S-2300. Looks like a nice machine.

Mike

16. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I remember someone saying that the Yamaha had good bass management, but that since they had an outlaw they would still use it as it was better.... Kinda what id expect to be hoenst but it sounds like the yamaha is good.

17. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

I use a SONY STR-DA4ES, which has two sets of multi-channel inputs, one for 5.1 and one for 7.1 !!

No switch box's for me.

Alex

18. John Beavers

John Beavers Second Unit

Personally I think either switch boxes or any affordable Universal Player will degrade the audio quality of whatever non-video material you're playing. After going from the Sony 9000ES DVD video/SACD player to a dedicated CD/SACD player, in the Marantz 8260, I found the difference in audio quality (both CD & SACD) to be very significant. For DVD-A I have the Denon 3800; and it is this player I have connected to my Ref 50 for multichannel hi-res material. If I want to hear multichannel SACD I'll simply unhook the interconnects from the Denon and plug them to the Marantz. Takes all of 2 minutes. I don't know about he rest of you guys but I've got enough of a wire jungle in the back of my rack as is; the thought of adding more just to save me those 2 minutes isn't worth my consideration.

19. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

20. Scott Merryfield