DVD-A, SACD setup question?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TanD, Sep 30, 2002.

1. TanD

TanD Stunt Coordinator

When I play a test tone from a Denon DVD3800, the LFE channel sound 10db lower than the main, center and surround channel (I already calibrated the receiver for movie with the receiver internal test tone which apply universal setting 75db at 00 vol.) and coincidently the 555ES sacd player give the same reading on the lfe channel 10db lower.

Now i am setting the DVD-A and SACD with +10db more for lfe channel for the EXT In (my receiver retain this setting just for EXT In and won't affect the other).

Do i have a right setup.

I hardly hear any bass if i don't raise the lfe channel level.

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

As long as you are trimming for the subwoofer output on the player only, and that's what you need to do to get the levels to match, that's what you do.

Keep in mind that some of the SACD and DVD-A players are outputting full range signals instead of band limited signals, and it's tough to match when the subwoofer has a substantial amount of energy well above its ability to prodcuce output.

Regards,

3. TanD

TanD Stunt Coordinator

John

As i understand what you said, my setup is correct.

I choose to raise the subwoofer level on the receiver instead because the 555ES SACD player won't allow you to raise or lower the level of individual channel. My receiver allow me to setup the EXT IN 1 and 2 with SubWoofer level Adjustment, and it won't affect any other input.