What's new

DVD-A/SACD: Does J6P care? (1 Viewer)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
And another thing......I know that the differences between redbook CD and hi-res music may be "subtle" to J6P, but these subtle differences entirely change the listening experience imho, especially if you are one who listens to a nice share of Jazz, Classical, and especially any vocal oriented acapella. I have Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Respighi's Pines of Rome with Beethoven's 6th from AIX records, the preludes one and two from Debussy, and I don't think I've heard recordings so wonderfully textured, and detail so sharp in any redbook CD recording. I guess as they say....the proof is in the pudding.

Reg

BTW - AIX records as an excellent sampler out, which I received from DVD Empire when I ordered Debussy. This sampler is so good that it receives more play than any of my other DVD-A discs. It has tracks which cover the entire musical spectrum, and includes video DD versions on the flip side which surprisingly sound quite good for DD.

Ray R

Stunt Coordinator
Thinking with a business mind I would be surprised if record labels are still supporting either of these formats 5 years from now. Teenagers are where the money is at and SACD and DVD-A don't offer anything significant to this group.
Something that does offer a little more is DVD-V music. Next time your at Best Buy take a look at how many teenagers are buying DVD movies. These kids have access to DVD players either in computers, their parents, or a player of their own. These are the same kids that have never known a time without MTV and unfortunately place a high value on appearance of musicians. For a few bucks more they can buy a disc with music and video. I really think this is where the market will take things. Even if most of the video is studio footage it still something that the biggest group of CD consumers would value. Of course the labels will have to again settle for a format without copy protection. :)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I overstated the amout of people who can hear the difference. :)
I should have stated that about 99% of the people won't care enough about the difference to pursue the options. People have CD players in their cars, in their boom boxes, in their homes, they listen to them at work and at play. Very few people actually listen critically to music or care to. The people who are passionate about music are going to jump on this format, just like the people who were passionate about video bought into LaserDisc in the 90s. But Joe 6 pack? He doesn't care.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
You have a good point there Ray R. As a few have stated here, DVD-A/SACD will probably remain a niche market much like laserdisc.....that is until they release Aaron Carter, some of the numerous boy bands, and re-issue that bubble-gum classic "Girl you know it's true" by Milli Vanilli:D
Reg

ReggieW

Screenwriter
However.....I think that it would be a major boon for DVD-A if Warner begins releasing catalog titles from the likes of Madonna (whose later albums would sound GREAT on multi-channel DVD-A) and Prince. I have visited many of their online fan clubs, and fans have been demanding and hoping that Warner will begin releasing some of their recordings on DVD-A. If labels begin releasing some of their superstar product, we MIGHT then see the format take off a little more and warrant some of J6P's attention.

Reg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks