What's new

Dvd-a & Sacd Bass Management (1 Viewer)

David Judah

Screenwriter
That is really meaningless unless someone has witnessed/heard the actual recording session.
I read somewhere, but unfortunately don't remember where it was, of an engineer taking actual measurements. So he was measuring the source material and the bass managed material which led him to that conclusion.

Now keep in mind I'm not against BM at all. I use it everytime I watch a DVD, but I mentioned it in relation to those who say Full Range has problems and was pointing out that if true, BM might have some problems as well.

Like you and I have both said, it's about compromises and using them to best effect within the obvious limitations of room, budget, preferences etc..., but I don't think BM is as important for most music as it is for DVD-V.

DJ

Tom Grooms

Second Unit
Muck up? You mean crossovers in speakers are different somehow? 40 hz extension is Ok? Must not be a fan of piano,double bass,electris bass,large orchrestra,organ,drums, etc...
Let me start by saying that i'm a 2 channel music guy. I don't have a multichannel music set-up and my ht and music gear are in 2 seperate "dedicated" rooms.

My nieghbor has a nice music/ht combo system and about 80 multichannel hirez (SACD) music titles. When trying to impliment the ICBM into his system, it destroyed the presentation. His front stage is solid to about 30Hz, the rears are good to about 40Hz. We found that we were not missing that much low bass in the rear channels on properly recorded music.

IMO if an engineer is going to put "piano, double bass, electris? bass, large orchrestra?, organ, drums, etc" in the rear channels, it usually sounds better on the 2 channel mix anyway. We tested this with and without the ICBM (and 2 other crossovers) with front and rear subs in a 26x16x9 dedicated very well treated room and about $50K worth of audio hardware goodies. Bottom line, It didnt work out for him.

$0.02

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
Now I'm really confused! So am I to understand that you don't get any bass out of the sub in a sub/sat system when playing dvd/a or sacd's? I currently have 5 small sats, with the receiver set to small speakers all around.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Kevin

When you are talking about DVDA/SACDs: Unless you have a receiver that does BM on the analog inputs, I don't think the settings on the receiver have any effect.

In this case the settings (speakers small+sub on) on the player makes the player do the BM (evidently with varying levels of success)

Jon_Krug

Stunt Coordinator
first in reference to the title of the thread, yes there r receivers or pre-amps that will do analog bm. the outlaw 950 pre has a switch on the back that will enable 80hz analog bm. do i ever use it? no. my player cand do it for me in the digital domain, so why would i do it later (i will play around with it a little bit more to try to figure out which sounds better -the analog bm on the pre or the bm on the player).
lance, i agree with u for the most part. my speakers r onix ref1's and go down to 42hz no problems. i ALWAYS leave my sub on so i am not going to lose any bass if i have my speakers set to large. for the most part on sacd and dvda i have found that i like the pure direct approach on my player (and obviously my pre is always analog direct). the pure direct aproach on the player sets everything on large. now, everyone who agrees with me on this, then please do some fooling around with EVERYTHING that u listen to. i have found that certain things i like crossed over at 80hz some things at 60hz and most things set to large. so basically, i urge everyone with full range speakers to start off with setting everything to large, but then experimenting with everything u listen to as u may find out that some things sound better crossed over.
if anyone is confused on this, there r numerous amounts of ppl that will say that even with full range speakers, u should cross them over at 80hz which supposedly will help with a better midrange. to each his own, and i have found that every time i put a cd on, i compare the 2 settings and have found that both have their own qualities.

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
i just bought a dvd a player, and i cant tell if it sounds good or not cause i have nothing to compare it to...

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
i dont have a disc on both cd and dvd-audio to compare the two....i am getting the Metallica black album on DVD A to compare to my black cd album.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks