What's new

DVD-A Review: AI Soundtrack (1 Viewer)

AaronJB

Second Unit
Throughout the brief history of the DVD-Audio format, there's only been two soundtrack releases - one for a short film called "Triathalon" and the other being the new release of the John Williams score for Steven Spielberg's "A.I."
As per usual for Warner Music titles, the score is presented in DVD-A 96khz 5.1 and 2.0, along with a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack for those who do not have DVD-A capability.
I was unsure whether or not the music would be re-positioned or altered for the 5.1 presentation on the DVD-Audio release, but the credited mixer for surround is Shawn Murphy, who is also the credited score mixer for the movie itself, which leads me to believe that this is simply the way that the score was mixed for theatrical release. The surround sound presentation is basic, but enveloping and dramatic. The added depth really makes for a far more enjoyable experience, as does the stellar audio quality. The score itself is a mix of electronic sounds and traditional classical pieces; there are a great deal of intense passages and subtle, near-silent ones. The DVD-Audio captures both the uneasy stillness and louder moments quite well, and instruments come through with precise detail and clarity.
Extras are rather simple - just a photo gallery and note from Spielberg about the score in general.
Many were mixed on the movie itself, but the score is wonderful and I found the DVD-Audio presentation to be very enjoyable.
Warner Music also releases a Missy Elliot DVD-Audio this week. I'm not a fan, but I'm curious to hear how rap will sound in the format.
My Site: A Guide To Current DVD

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the review. I don't have a DVD-A setup, but I've been considering picking this one up. How does the DD5.1 audio sound?
Gregory

Daniel Schenk

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the review,my copy hasn`t arrived yet. Paul Simon`s release is still on time i believe but the Missy Elliott DVD-A has been delayed according to DVD Empire. New Date is 8/28

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks