DVD-A possible on a HTPC?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Grant B, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Grant B

Grant B Producer

My Sony changer does SACD but occasionally I see a DVD-A that I would like to play. Is this possible using a DVD drive with I guess some audio card / SW and 5.1 out?

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

WinDVD 6 Platinum can play DVD Audio. You'll have to search around for details on how it works as I don't use it much.

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Thanks very Much!
    Since you don't use it much,you might not be able to answer this but would you say it's quality is near a DVD-A deck?

4. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

As I recall, a recent SoundBlaster will play DVD-A, but only through their analog 5.1 outputs (usually three two-channel pairs, to amps/speakers). If that's what your setup is already, then you're good to go. But if you use optical/coax for your 5.1, decoded by a preamp/receiver, it won't play through that.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

It's possible to play on the HTPC but everything I've been reading on the subject says all that's possible is down-rezzed 16/48.

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Scott
    I read in a review that you meed the right soundcard that supports DVDA which is only creative at the moment

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Search in AVS's HTPC section for "DVDA". Hopefully you can turn up some new news but I found more of the same, even with the Audigy's :

Again, DVD-A will most certainly work but to get the full resolution out of the format you need a standalone player at this point.