What's new

DVD-A playing in a SACD player (1 Viewer)

Andy Kramer

Agent
Truth has it that you can play any DVD- Audio disc in ANY dvd player. (I know this because that is how i enjoy DVD-A for the moment.) I would love to dive into a Universal player that Pioneer offers for about 500$$$ but thats doesnt fit my budet at this time. BUt i want to enjoy both formats. So if i were to buy lets say a DVP-NS755V SACD player/dvd.. etc i am assuming that it would play my dvd-a discs naturally because it is a DVD player as well. So then i would get the best of both worlds. I know that it wouldnt be the "optimal" way of listening to DVD-A being my receiver is still decoding all the sounds but it would work.. am i right or wrong?

Thanks
Andy

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
It WOULD work...but you wouldn't be hearing the hi-rez DVD-A tracks. Your player would output the DD or DTS tracks on the DVD-A disc.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Andy, you might want to wait awhile, as two cheaper universal players will be out later this year. Pioneer will be releasing the DV-563A for around $270, while Zenith will be releasing the DV-318 for $200. The word on the street is that the '563A will convert the DSD bitstream from SACDs to PCM, which is undesirable, but I'm not sure if that is known with certainty. I don't know how the Zenith unit will handle SACD.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
You'd only play the DD and DTS multichannel tracks that way. Occasionally if you're lucky there will be a 96/24 stereo track that you could play. The DTS multichannel tracks sound fantastic, the DD ones, not so good. Most DVD-A discs only have the nominal DD tracks. As someone who has both DVD-A and SACD, I'd recommend waiting for a universal.

Andy Kramer

Agent
Well that gives me something to think about. Keith you wouldnt happen to know a date on the universal player from Pioneer would you? (Summer, Fall, Winter) Cause i could always pick up some other components in the mean time. But to tell you the truth i do enjoy dvd-a on my standard dvd player (dts tracks of course)! Thanks for all your help and kind suggeestions
Andy

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
you know andy, I was going the same route you are going but I went ahead and bought the SOny DVP-NS755. THe sound is quite good on DVD-A and SACD haven't tried DVD yet...just going though all my SACD Hybrids and DVD-A's. It's just nice.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Andy, unfortunately, I don't know when the Pioneer '563A will be released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks