DVD-A playback

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil*K, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Maybe this should go into another forum if it should then move it. My question is about enhanced stereo from a DVD-A disc. I have some that will play a stereo tract sampled at 192/24. If I send this though my 6 channel input my DVD audio player will not use its bass management to send a sub signal. Now I can send it through the L/R analog connector and get an output to my sub, but the receiver re-digitalizes the signal.

My question is at what sample rate will it be re-digitalized and will I be losing any benifits of the original 192/24 signal. I have a RX-V1 which has 96/24 DACS. I don't know what kind of ADCs it has.

Thanks,

Phil

2. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit

Try here. On 9-1 block diagram, the ADC is described as only 24 bit with no defined sampling frequency.

However, it most likely is not more than 96Khz since it's Burr Brown PCM 1704 DACs are only 96Khz/24 bit resolution. So the highest resolution you'd be able to achieve is 96/24, not 192/24. The 6 channel inputs are the only way to keep your 192/24 resolution. IMO, the gain in 2 channel bass management is a much higher priority in performance than the loss of inaudible frequencies.

Yamaha seems to be less concerned with analog signals then digital. They boast about their DACs but make absolutely no mention of the ADCs.

If the sampling frequency were only 48Khz, I think it would still be advantageous against having no bass management that could cause distortion and the lost of low frequencies. IMO, the low frequencies hold a high priority being they can create a convincing reality.

Not related to this post,

I went with the Infinity Entra Point5 speakers. For image testing purposes, I replaced my RS2000.4s with my RS1s to find how the imaging was. RS1s imaged the same as I remember. I then tried my Sterling 2001s which were serving back surround duty. Unfortunately, they had imaging on par with what I heard from the other Entras. So I decided I'd put the SS2001 back in the bedroom system and use the Point5s on the surround back channels. One main advantage was since my couch is only 8" from the back wall, I can use telescoping, adjustable speaker stands for the point5s and that will put them about a foot over our heads, as not to be blasting right in our ears. With the SS2001s, I had to put them on stands, sitting their backs on the stands and the front of the speakers, facing up toward the ceiling. It worked very well but if one was sitting on the edge of the seat, then the high frequencies got lost. You need to be sitting squarely. The small speakers and the tall stands look to be a good advantage and the speakers were on sale.

Have a good one.

3. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Mike,

I think what I'll do is switch my speakers from line input to speaker input and use the low pass filter when listening to the 192/24 stereo and just live with the 150hz crossover. I'm not sure I like the idea of going through one set of DACs just to get re-digitalized so it can go through another set of DACs. I know that's what typically happens with an analog input on most receivers. It's too bad the DVD-A player doesn't address the issue, but I suppose I'll have to live with it.

Anyway,

Congragulations on the new speakers. I don't think that I"ve heard the point5 system. I'm sure they sound great.

Thanks, and have a good one

Phil

4. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit

Phil,

5. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

My speakers have a switch which selects the sub input to either comming from the sub pre-out called "line level" or though the speaker cables called "speaker level". The speaker level input has a low pass filter set at 150hz, which I can turn off or on. So I'd be letting the speakers do the bass management.

My DVD-A player is the Yamaha DVD-C920 and it's suppose to have rudemetary bass management set at 100hz, but it doesn't seem to function on the 192/24 stereo. I wish it did.

Good price on the IL10s, but they are a big bookshelf. I'm still supprised on the power handling of the Alpha 10s. My IL25C has 4", 1" drivers and its rated at 150 watts. I'm not sure what's up with that, but go figure.

Take it easy,

Phil

6. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

You are always going to lose something in the reconversion process, which IMO, defeats the purpose of having the higher resolution formats. I would stick with the L & R of the multichannel output and keep the signal path as clean as possible.

For years people used bookshelves to listen to two channel without the aid of a subwoofer. Now that everyone is used to bass management with DVD-V, it seems that we often feel the need to apply it to two channel music reproduction as well. DVD-A and DVD-V are two different animals, so in many cases, the sub is not absolutely necessary for stereo DVD-A. There are exceptions, of course, but for most types of music there's not alot of LF information like there is with an action movie on DVD-V.

You could always get an Outlaw ICBM if you feel you are really missing out on some bass, though.

Good Luck,

DJ

7. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Arrgh. [​IMG]

The use of higher sampling frequencies has much more to do with better signal RESOLUTION than reproducing higher (& usually inaudible) frequencies. Low resolution is why a CD's high frequencies don't sound totally proper, especially stringed instruments. Female voices can be affected too. In other words, these "tiny" details are what makes the difference between something sounding just "good" and something that sounds real.

Go to this animated dvd-audio explanation website, and after selecting a language, click on "About dvd-audio" then "How it works" then "sampling & quantization". That graph will illustrate exactly what I am talking about. FYI: that stepped wave that is pictured is not what comes out of a CD or dvd-audio player's RCA analog outputs--the digital-to-analog converter smooths those steps out first.

I sure hope this common misconception isn't what makes people think hi-res formats are just a consumer ripoff.

LJ

8. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for everyones input. I'll keep the 192/24 signal going through the multichannel setting. I have powered towers and as I stated above all it takes is throwing a couple of switches in the back of my speakers to get the subs to kick in. So I guess I'm just wanting the bass management from my DVD-A player for the convience of not having to switch them back and forth.

Phil

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David said:

10. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit

11. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit

BTW,

What's wrong with this thread. It has an arrow and the views and replies has only a dash. Also, new replies are not being shown or even taking the thread back to the top of the list.

I've seen this before, is this a HT forum software corruption?

Take it easy.

12. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Hey Mike,

They moved it the the A/V sources forum

Phil