What's new

Dvd A Or Sacd? (1 Viewer)

Mario D

Grip
I want to upgrade my dvd player and was wondering what format sounds better between dvd audio or sacd cause my next player will have one or the other!

KrisM

Second Unit
I'll jump into this thread before it gets ugly.:) Like David said, there are players that do both. There have been a few threads about this lately. I would check them out first.
Having said that, If you are going with one or the other, I would suggest checking the titles that are available and go with the format that has the best selection for your taste.
As far as which sounds better, I wouldn't touch that question with a ten foot pole. I'm sure you'll get plenty of un-biased opinions on that.:D

Regards
KrisM

Mario D

Grip
Thanks KrisM Thinking of it I guess I should have never asked this question,its definetely a listeners choice .One's ears is not the next guy's ears . Thanks for your reply anyway Iguess I'll use my own ears and listen to both and make a decision from there.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mario, my suggestion is that you buy into both formats and consider the purchase of a universal player. At their best, both formats sound great (decidedly better than CD), and both formats offer blockbuster titles. What is your budget for a DVD player? The cheapest universal player currently available is the Pioneer Elite DV-45A, which retails for $500. Other current models are priced around $1000-1500. Later this year, however, Pioneer will release the DV-563A for $270 and Zenith will release the DV-318 for $200.

If you can spend $1000-1500 for a universal player, here are your current options:

* Pioneer DV-47Ai ($1000)
* Onkyo DV-SP800 ($1000)
* Integra DPS-8.3 ($1200; similar to Onkyo 'SP800)
* Marantz DV-8300 ($1500)
* Yamaha DV-S2300 ($1200)

Also, Denon will be releasing the DVD-2900 for $1000 later this year. All of these higher-priced models, including the Denon '2900, have been discussed here extensively, so a search should prove useful. A search will also yield many discussions on the Elite '45A. Note that all universal players mentioned here are single-disc models. No changers have been released or announced as yet.

If you are willing to spend up to $1000 to get both formats, there is another option to consider. Rather than buying a universal player, you might consider the purchase of two components. You could buy the Denon DVD-1600 DVD-Audio player for $500 and the Sony SCD-C222ES carousel SACD/CD changer for around $350. The Denon '1600 is available through brick-and-mortar dealers and crutchfield.com for $500. While the Sony 'C222ES retails for $500, you should be able to get it for $350 through authorized mail-order dealers such as OneCall (1-800-340-4770), Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480), or J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180). For more information on the '1600 and 'C222ES, go to www.crutchfield.com . Also, these players have been discussed here quite a bit, so do a search on them. Both are highly capable for the money.

Note that a drawback with buying separate players is that you need a pre-amp or receiver with two sets of multi-channel inputs or, if your pre-amp or receiver has just one set, a switching device that sits between the two players and your pre-amp or receiver. The switching device has two player inputs and then an output that connects to a pre-amp or receiver's lone multi-channel input. I have separate DVD-Audio and SACD players, and my receiver has just one set of 5.1-channel inputs. As a result, I use two Radio Shack A/V switch boxes (part number 15-1952; $15 each) to switch between DVD-Audio and SACD. These switch boxes have been discussed quite a bit here, so do a search. They are available at Radio Shack stores or on radioshack.com. Despite the low price, they work very well.

Sorry for the diatribe. Hope it helps you. :)

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Mario: I'd suggest waiting a year or so before getting a universal player. My guess is the price will go down SIGNIFICANTLY to where you can get one for a lot less than you can now.

As for which one to get if you only get one.... I'd lean towards DVD-A, but I think in a month or so, with all the SACD titles, I MIGHT change my mind.

Part of me wants to say don't get either. IMHO, people have to jump through hoops to get surround on those discs because the companies are so anal-retentive about copy protection. I think that neither format will take off until there's a widely available single-cord solution for surround. Unfortunately, we don't have that yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks