DVD-A on a budget

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug Fogle, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Doug Fogle

Doug Fogle Stunt Coordinator

Been thinking about the toshiba 4800 or the pan.82 as a dvd-a player option for around $200.Does either one have clear superiority in audio?How about bass mgt?Can I get the benifits of DVD-A at this price point or should I widen my search?

2. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Both are fine players and will do DVDA just fine.

Neither has real bass management and as far as I know, virtually no DVDA player yet has bass management except maybe for some real expensive player (maybe someone else knows which player has BM).

If you use 4 large full-range speakers and no sub, you don't need BM.

If you run smaller speakers (6" woofers etc.) and a sub, then you will need an Outlaw ICBM to do BM justice.
    That's the way I went. My ICBM does a great job.

3. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Doug,

The Panny RA60 should be available for around 120.00 NEW on clearance. It is a good DVD-A player but doesn't have progressive scan for video. 6th Avenue electronics had them a few weeks ago for 117.00. The players that currently utilize ANY bass management whatsoever are all over 500.00, and are very limited at that. The cheapest are the Kenwood 5700 and the Denon 1600 which do not offer true bass management, just a low pass filter to the sub. These players are priced between 500.00-800.00, though I think you should seriously go for the Panny RA60 at this point in the game.

Reg

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie said:

5. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I do beleive even to this date, there is no DVDA/SACD player that does Bass Management as well as the Outlaw ICBM.

The ICBM is one of the great buys in Audio history, very versatile. Basically I don't have to care about future players cause the 2 that I have now are fine. The ICBM makes them complete.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, thanks. That's what I thought. If I were the big cheese at Outlaw, I'd be talking to my engineering crew about designing an ICBM with switching capability for people who have separate SACD and DVD-Audio players. The only issue there is that Outlaw might not be able to charge too much for it over the standard ICBM in the long run since more universal players are becoming available.