What's new

DVD-A: Not impressed with selection (1 Viewer)

AricB

Second Unit
[try this]http://www.dts.com/entertainment/catalogue/[/url]

they are labeled as DTS DVD-Audio OR DTS 5.1 Music Disc(like the eagles disc)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Larry:

I don't think I understand how you are so sure that DTS CDs will play in Ron's new Acura. Are you familair with the system in the Acura RL?

Granted I don't know much about the aud systems in the finer autos available that are playing DVD-As, but I do know it seems unlikely that an audio system that does not play DVD movies (which I don't think the Acura does; is there a display device in your car, Ron?) would include the DTS decoding that is necessary to play DTS CDs.

You don't have to have a DTS-capable playback device in order to playback DTS CDs--unlike DVDs, the DTS bitstream is PCM-encoded. One simply must either have a playback device that does onboard DTS decoding and then passes the 5.1 analog signal out for amplification -or- the device passes the DTS bitstream via a digital output for offboard decoding. I could be wrong, but neither of these scenarios seems likely for a car head unit.

-p

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Paul: in my post here I talked about the (quad) Dark Side Of The Moon DTS-CD I listened to......in an Acura RL. Physically-speaking it is actually a CD-R but it uses the same format of course.

The TL also plays DTS-CDs (I played a store bought DTS-CD of the Moody Blues' Seventh Sojourn in one when they debuted & started a thread here about my entire TL/surround listening experience).

FYI: the new Infiniti "M" series and Cadillac's new STS both have optional dvd-audio playback systems, which include DTS-CD playback. At the time I was there, there were no M's with that system on the lot; and the STS in the showroom that did have the surround system had a run-down battery so I didn't get to hear it (the salesman said it comes with a sampler disc which he said sounded very good to him).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am currently listening to Sheryl Crowe
The Globe Sessions in DTS in my Acura RL.

...or at least I believe it is being decoded
as a DTS CD.

I know that on the audio menu screen it does
display an indicator that the CD playing is DTS.

If it is actually outputting DTS, I am not sure.

I suppose I should look at the manual.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
It is. IT IS!!! If you hear any music at all instead of white noise, it is being decoded into DTS. Stop being so skeptical already & just enjoy the 5.1!:D

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Weeelll when I play back a DTS CD on my Pio 563A (which has onboard DTS decoding) thru my 2-channel stereo system, I am hearing some kind of downmixed DTS.

Ron, after expressing interest in more DVD-A selection what made you select the DTS CD of Globe Sessions instead of the DVD-A??

-p

Brian O

Second Unit
Ron and Craig,

You might want to check out Foreigners debut album on DVD-A. I really enjoy it and it has commentary by Lou and Mick too.

Very clean vocals and good, interesting use of surrounds when appropriate.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
If you have the ability to enjoy DVD-Audio, you're missing out if you don't own Queen's "A Night at the Opera" or their more hit friendly "The Game" which are both currently available.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit

Larry -- my, my. Another TL owner here.:) Got mine a year ago almost and love it so far. Audio system is very good but I do wish it had an input jack for an MP3 player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks