What's new

DVD-A (MLP 5.1) and digital out question for you gurus. (1 Viewer)

Peter_Al

Auditioning
Situation. I brought a DVD-A from AIX records (great DVD-A's btw if you like classics, all freshly recorded and done in 96/24 from start to finish) and on the DVD it has
MLP 5.1 (DVD-A only)
PCM 2.0
DD
DTS

I'm playing it on a Toshiba SD-4800 and a H/K AVR-320. I notice when I play the MLP 5.1 I'm only getting stereo.

Now on the sampler disk AIX gave me along with the DVD I brought there is tons of techincal info about the standards. One thing it mentioned that DVD-A (MLP) players will NOT have a digital out, only analog (via the speaker outs) due to the recording industry request (basties!,only Denon and Meridian have a player that does) as they didn't want a lossless digital stream.

Well my SD-4800 most certainly does have a digital out but it got he thinking.... When I'm playing MLP 5.1 does the DVD player kill the digital out (not sure what I'm getting then)?? Or maybe it is sending the signal but my receiver is not able to handle it properly?

Either way, would the only way of getting MLP 5.1 be to connect the speaker outs of my DVD player to the receiver and run off this input?

Thanks, just when you think you are getting an understanding of things....

Pete

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Peter, your assumptions are correct. The only way to get the hi-rez MLP tracks from a DVD-A is to run the 5.1 analog outs into your receiver or pre/pro...same with SACD. It appears that, since you are listening to it via a digital out, that you are hearing the 2.0 PCM tracks.

Peter_Al

Auditioning
Hah, well that bites but many thanks for the info and quick response... love this forum with all the smart folks ;)

Looks like it's time to shop for cables

Peter.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Well there are some expensive exceptions to the rule, but that's another story for another thread.

Regards,

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
How much do you need to spend on these rca cables for the analog outs to reach the true MLP potential?

Thanks.

Peter Ping

Agent
They are inexpensive. You only need two sets (from quality brands such as GE or Philips, around $15 per set at Wal-mart or Target) regular audio (2) and video (1) cables. The video cable works fine for DVD-A and SACD analog connection. You do not have to spend more on 3 pairs of audio cable set. No difference.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Well, I have some left over rca's sitting at home that came with different pieces of hardware. Can I just use those?

Thanks.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
If they're the cheap little 18ga. cables I'd toss em and go to Radio Shack and three matching sets for like $30-40 depending on length.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks