What's new

DVD-A JVC XV-D723GD worth $200? (1 Viewer)

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I just looked at onecall's listing of the above. Most places sell it for >$300. What's up with this model? Does it play CD-Rs? Is it better than the SXV-SA70BK/75, or just an older soon to be discontinued model?
Should I grab it or hold out for the Toshibas (4700/5700)?
I'd rather not go $400+ for the Pan 91...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Art, I posted this here last night. Here is the thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/044889.html
No one seemed interested enough to reply. The 'D723GD has been discontinued, so OneCall must be trying to blow out remaining inventory. I honestly don't know if it plays CD-Rs or how it compares to the newer JVC DVD-Audio players. I know the 'D723GD doesn't offer bass management for DVD-Audio, and I am not aware that the new JVC players do either.
As I said in the thread above, I am not high on JVC DVD players (history of reliability issues), and I am not impressed with the build quality of the 'D723GD, but at $200, it is worthy of consideration. I feel the Panasonic DVD-RP91 is likely to be a better player from an audio standpoint (I have the Technics DVD-A10, the predecessor to the 'RP91, which is a very solid component all-around). The 'RP91 is built better than the 'D723GD, but as you indicated, it is considerably more expensive.
The Toshiba players aren't out yet, so I doubt anyone can comment on them. If you cannot swing the Panasonic 'RP91, then the 'D723GD is worth a shot for $200.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Ray G

Grip
I picked up one of these at Costco a couple of weeks ago, and for the price [$250] I'm very happy with the unit. The picture is great and is very tweakable. It's not an audiophile unit but DVD-Audio has been fun. So far no problems other than some audio skipping on the one DTS disc I tried. This a problem others have come across. I'm not concerned because I have very few DTS-capable discs and I can always switch to the 5.1 analog outs using the internal DTS decoder [which works fine and allows bass management in DTS or DD, but not DVD-A].
I don't believe there's much difference from the 70/75 models other than better/simplified cosmetics for the newer models [the front panel info has been greatly reduced from the 723], a few differences in the feature set, such as the ability to select progressive/interlaced from the menu [as opposed to the back panel] and a better remote [I use a Pronto, so that's not an issue for me]. Apparently the video "guts" are essentially identical regarding progressive and de-interlacing performance. So far I haven't heard any complaints on quality issues for the new models, so that may also be a factor in which model you buy.
I really don't think for the price you can go wrong with any of the JVC models, especially if you're interested in DVD-Audio at all.
Good luck.
Ray G

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
im holding out for the Toshibas...unless we can get a group buy on the Panny RP91's. that would be ideal. i really dont like JVC due to past problems!
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I think it's worth noteing that the 723's pic is better than some more expensive models. I have one. It's video performance looks better than the Sony 9000ES to my eyes. It's audio performance defines average IMO. I've enjoyed my 7 DVD-A discs on it despite the lack of optimal bass management.
The remote is a real weakness. The shuttle on the bottom is the unit's only higlight. No backlighting and very poor visability of the generic little plaza of buttons. I run mine with a Marantz remote. Given the unt's video performance, $200 is a steal IMO. Best wishes!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know for sure if this thing plays CDRs?
It's not specifically listed in the specs as far as I can see. I don't care much about mp3 (the replacement 70 models list that feature), but it's gotta play my CDR's!
It does have DD and DTS decoders right?
If so, for half the price of the Pan, I might try it, and spend more on a DVD when good quality combo DVD-A/SCAD players with bass management become available..

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Well, Rachael just gave me and my ripped CD's the sad news that the 723 does not play CDR's so I'm out a bargain. Of course I realize that I'm posting on a video forum, but truth be told, I'm more of an audiophile than a videophile,--if fact I don't even need a progressive player as all I have is an old JVC 32in tube. I'm just trying to take the shotgun approach and get a cheap DVD/CD player for the time being.
And I'll even to admit to wanting the players to have DD and DTS decoders as I'm planning to run the analog outs to my patchwork of integrated amps, preamps and amps without the -gulp- use of an official audio/video receiver or preamp/processor. Oh the horror! Well, enough true confessions (I even play----records)
So, on with the quest. Do the newer JVC XV-SA70BK/XV-SA75GD play CDRs? Taking a look at the Toshiba specs for the forthcoming 4700/5700 I see that they are listed as being CDR compatible, as well as having DD decoding. It mentions that they pass the DD and DTS digital signals, but I don't see specific mention of DTS decoding. Anyone know?
Damn, why won't Panasonic just release the 61 for $300 and make my life easier.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Art, if you are an audiophile, then you don't want the JVC player, in my honest opinion. I am getting to the point of being an audiophile (not sure I like the connotation associated with the term), but I don't consider my Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player to be an audiophile piece, and I think it is much better than the JVC player as an audio component.
Here is something you might want to think about in regards to the JVC 'D723GD. One drawback, in my opinion, is that it lacks dedicated stereo analog outputs. It only has 5.1-channel outputs. The 'A10, and most, if not all, other DVD-Audio players, have both types of outputs. I have a stereo system and a surround-sound system in my home theater room. The stereo system is much better for stereo music playback than is my modest surround-sound set-up. As a result, I am running RCA cables from the stereo analog outputs on the 'A10 to my stereo integrated amp for playback of stereo DVD-Audio tracks (I don't use the 'A10 for CD playback as I have better CD players). Of course, I am also running RCA cables from the 5.1-channel outputs to my surround-sound receiver for playback of surround-sound DVD-Audio tracks. You might want to consider a DVD-Audio player with dedicated stereo analog outputs.
Finally, all DVD-Audio players I have seen have Dolby Digital and DTS decoders on-board. I guess the thinking there is that since the owner will have to use the 5.1-channel outputs for DVD-Audio, he or she might as well be able to use them for DVD-Video discs too. On most players, however, one can only apply bass management to Dolby Digital and DTS tracks and not DVD-Audio when using the 5.1-channel outputs.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks