DVD-A Help! Pioneer VSX-1014TX multi-channel in

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steven Burke, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Steven Burke

Steven Burke Agent

Steven
    I have a Pioneer VSX-1014TX receiver with a Pioneer DV-45A player.
    I have hooked up all the RCA cables into the multi-channel inputs (correctly I assure you) and when I listen to a DVD-Audio disc like REM's "Out Of Time" the sound is pretty stunning....EXCEPT.....there's hardly any bass.
    I thought there might be a flaw with the player so I took it to the dealer and we hooked it up to a Paradigm speaker system. It sounded fine there and I listened to the subwoofer by itself. When I get it back home again the bass sucks ass. I put in NIN's Downward Spiral DVD-A and the bass sucks. I change the player to read it as a DVD-Video and using the coaxial cable and the bass shakes the house.
    What is wrong? Just to see what would happen I took the subwoofer cable out of the receiver and plugged it directly into the subwoofer out from the back of the DV-45A. It sounded almost identical as it did from the receiver. I have to turn the subwoofer right up to full and set the channel at +10dB to get it to sound like a DVD-Video does with the sub at 1/2 volume and +/- 0dB on the subwoofer channel.
    Not that it matters but I'm using JBL 5.1 speakers.
    The MCACC has crapped out too. I think the subwoofer processing on the multi-channel is dead. What do you think?
    I'd like to call Pioneer and then see if they will arrange a 1015 replacement through Best Buy rather than have the same issue happen 3 times before I get a replacement.
    Any thoughts?

2. Jason.M

Jason.M Auditioning

I'm not sure about the Pioneer, but on Denon receivers multi-channel inputs are called Ext.In and there is an Ext.In Subwoofer Level option with choices of +15, +10, +5 and 0, with +15 being the default. It says to select according to the specifications of the player being used. Maybe there is an equivalent option on your Pioneer? Not sure why such an option would have to be there, but maybe someone else could shed some more light on that.

3. Ron Temple

Ron Temple Stunt Coordinator

Not sure about your model, but I think DVD A and SACD need a player with bass management IIRC. I've read about this issue several times. Hopefully, the manual may shed some light on this.

4. lee ison

lee ison Stunt Coordinator

yes you do need some sort of bass management, such as the outlaw icbm, neither this rec or dvd player offers it as with alot of other rec. dvd-a &sacd aren't selling that well and probably be dropped in the near future so don't expect manuf to support it , I hope I'm wrong.

5. Steven Burke

Steven Burke Agent

Steven
    There definitely isn't a level option but you can adjust the channel levels the same as you can when you're watching normal Dolby/DTS feeds.
    Like I stated I normally have the SUB channel set to 0dB and the volume on my sub at 50%
    To get the same amount of bass with the DVD-A I need to set the channel to its max of +10dB and the sub to 100% volume. It's very screwy.
    I don't see DVD-A or SACD dropping off. Some places don't sell very well but when you go to larger stores like Toronto, NYC, etc., you'll find pretty large multi-channel audio sections. They just need to drop the price a little.
    Most people that put out a multi-channel mix, with the exception of DTS Entertainment who put out a lot of DTS 5.1 only CDs, will also include an advanced resolution mix if it's a DVD disc.
    When HD-DVD comes out I think you'll see prices of SACD and DVD-A discs dropping and the sales rising.
    For the record, when I use my DV-45A player with the coaxial and listen to CDs or Dolby/DTS music discs it's so much more noticeably better than the PS2 with an optical cable that I'm thrilled with my purchase.
    I can't wait to get my multi-channel issue fixed though.

6. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    You do have speaker setup options in your DVD-A player that will let you do a bit of bass management. Make sure the small large speaker setting is correct and I think you will have speaker volume settings also.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It IS a level problem, because DD/DTS tracks have a +10dB offset built into the stream, which is why they sound correct. Hires music does not have this built in and must be compensated for by your equipment.

My solution was to drop all the speaker levels by 5dB on my 2900 and raise the sub's by 5dB on my receiver. The 2200 has a +10dB offset option, which I kind of miss now.

8. Steve_L

Steve_L Stunt Coordinator

Steven, can we asume you habe run the MCACC and it all sets up nicely and the sub works fine in that regard?
    (In other words, it is ONLY an issue with multi-channel in?)

I would also suggest you go to your speaker settings and set the SUB on the "plus" setting. That is the "always on" setting, regardless of what mode you are running. ie Stereo, DD DTS, multi-channel etc..and it will route all LFE and any speaker set to "small" bass signals.

Have you done this?

gotta be a setting...

9. Scotty P

Scotty P Agent