DVD-A Forum considers CD layer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GregK, Nov 12, 2002.

1. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Very interesting. If they place a CD layer on DVD-A discs it would be a very big move. This means you will be able to enjoy the disc in Hi-res, DD, DTS, or standard Redbook at home or in the car on you DVD, DVD-A and CD players. Talk about options. If this move is done properly, it could end up killing SACD which has very little hardware suport currently for the mass market.

J

3. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

Wow! Talk about pullin' a rabbit out of your hat.
    And they're meeting this month to talk about it. [​IMG]

4. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

If this leads to more mainstream releases, I'm all for it. But maybe they should be concentrating on getting more day and date DVD-A releases out there and building a solid software library.

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

[​IMG]

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    This shows the desperation of the DVDA team to get market traction. After three launches, they still can't get anywhere and I doubt this albeit consumer-friendly move will help.
    This also shows that Super Audio has the right mix with the ability ALREADY to carry the CD layer.
    The only thing slower than the people in charge of marketing DVDAs is their own release schedule.
    [​IMG]

7. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

Seems to me that - if adopted, this would signal the end of DD and DTS compatible surround mixes on DVD-A's. Unless the format is capable of supporting a THREE layer disc, where would you put the DD and DTS versions? On dual sided multi-layer discs? At what point does this become cumbersome to produce?

I imagine that you would have a CD layer and a high res stereo & surround layer only.

8. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

The key words right from the start of that announcement is
    "Seeking to match the appeal of Sony and Philips' Super Audio CD format"

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Jerry sums it up very simply and tellingly! [​IMG]

10. Jerry Klawiter

I look at it this way,
    It's all about merchandise marketing!
    An average person walks into a store to purchase music,
    they will walk over to the CD section.
    That same person walks into the store for movies,
    they walk into the DVD section.

Now if more hybrids make it on the shelves, these same people that by the CD music will also be purchasing the SACD format, this is even if they have no supproting gear at home.
    More and more retailers are now mixing SACD's with the CD disc's.

DVD-A needs some major marketing changes to over come this.

I do also have the Panny RP-91, but only have a few DVD-A disc's, and well over 80 SACD's.

11. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

12. Jerry Klawiter

You are correct, But Sony is only one of many labels.
    These other labels are leading the way..

But it still comes to merchandising + market space.
    And the older customers that just came in to purchase a
    B-day gift or what ever. Ask them where to find the music in the store, they will say of course the CD section.

This will mean that the DVD-A software needs to jump over to the same CD section. But now those same folks will think this was a merchandise stocking error when they see DVD, and look past it.

13. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Since dvd-audio uses the "evil" PCM format, it won't ever catch up with SACD's lead in the audiophile community.
    Admittedly, dvd-audio has had a rough time, mostly since no single entity controls it, as with the partnership of Sony/Philips and SACD. Sort of a "free spirit" format if you will, but too much freedom can lead to chaos.....but they obviously have been listening: witness the issuing of dvd-audio user-interface guidelines a few months ago. And the CD-like operation of recent dvd-audio releases.
    Also, unlike SACD where Sony "helped" labels with the adoption of SACD recording equipment, if I'm not mistaken those involved in dvd-audio paid for it out of their own pockets. And dvd-audio's highest resolution format, 192/24 (in the form of commonly available recording gear) is just this year starting to reach the market. But it is still expensive for small labels to buy.
    And personally speaking, the list of titles on SACD is a real snooze-fest: audiophile recordings with great sonics, but obscure music few care about; another recording of Beethoven's 9th symphony; or nauseating "lite" jazz to listen to while you eat your Sunday morning croissant. Zzzzzzzzz.
    I lump SACD (and it's strange, ultrasonics-filled DSD format) in with SET amps, $10K turntables and $500 interconnects-strictly a fussy audiophile curiosity, good for a chuckle during the office lunch hour. [​IMG]
    For budding dvd-audio RECORDING enthusiasts: http://www.discwelder.com/
    LJ

14. Jerry Klawiter

15. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

16. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

17. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

Who wants to make a bet that DVD-A's get a hybrid CD layer before Sony starts making SACD hybrids.
    My hats off to Warner and the rest of the DVD-A camp.
    Let's face it, if the one and only Sony wants to sit on their hands and let their own format die a slow death by not producing hybrids, why shouldn't the other side take advantage of the situation and do it? [​IMG]

18. Jerry Klawiter

I'm chuckling now and it's not even lunch hour. [​IMG]
    I don't consider myself as an audiophile as you described one to be, I never paid more then $50 for a pair of interconnects or speaker cables, not even over priced gear.
    I never said that SACD is audio nirvana.
    I speak for myself, others on this forum may agree,
    I first find that SACD has more to offer at this time in my
    music tastes, Now can you please pass the croissant.[​IMG]
    The SACD formats ease of use is nice.
    Compared to red-book in most cases it's far superior in sound.
    Your generalization of SACD and the users of the format is what I feel you could have kept to yourself. [​IMG]
    At this stage of these two formats, SACD just maybe a better fit for some, As DVD-A is for others.
    I have & use both..

19. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

"Knee-jerk reaction."
    That's my excuse for getting kind of cranky concerning this subject because I spent two years over at AudioAsylum's "Hi-Rez" SACD/dvd-audio forum. A very narrow-minded & unpleasant place where it's difficult to get good/accurate information on dvd-audio. And where SACD is Zeus' Golden Audio Format or something like that [​IMG] .
    Didn't mean to generalize. Sorry.
    LJ

20. DennisK

DennisK Agent

I think the trick to getting the average listener to adopt is showing them a true sonic benefit. Most won't notice a real difference between the CD and the DVD-A/SACD formats as far as sound quality goes. I think what will lure them in is more multi-channel music. When I used to sell Audio equipment, people were always asking me about using Dolby Surround with music or one of the artificial enhancements that most processors come with. The audience is out there, they just need to be made aware.
    One of the marketing tricks I'm surprised they haven't tried yet is the early release. A major artist releases a new album and you can buy the SACD or DVD-A version a week before the CD comes out.
    Of course once Dark Side of the Moon comes out on DVD-A I'm sure it will draw all the Pink Floyd fans in to buy DVD-A [​IMG]