DVD-A for the car

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott L, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Panasonic's CQ-DVR909U DVD-A player for the car is catching my eye. It seems to be the only hi-res audio player for the car and can be had for under $600.
    Just wondering if anyone has used this player for their car and if the DVD-A capability is really noticeable.
    Thanks!

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Scott, obviously, one would have to have quality amps and speakers to take advantage of DVD-Audio in a car, and I still wonder how much of a difference it would make. Road noise won't help matters. I personally see no reason to pursue high-resolution audio in a car at $600, but that's just me. If the head unit were $200, that would be another matter. In any event, if you have factory speakers, I doubt the DVD-Audio player is going to yield much of an improvement. $600 is more than a lot of home DVD-Audio players cost. My feeling is that the $600 could be put to better use for a home system upgrade/addition or for music, but again, that's just me.

Finally, I am skeptical as to whether the small center speaker on that Panasonic unit could be at all useful.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Thanks for your reply Keith. I do have outboard amps (MTX) and Infinity References all around. Nothing high-end but I'm sure there will be a discernible difference over my current Pioneer HU. I auditioned DVD-A over the weekend at a HT meet and it's what I've been looking forward to hear for a long time. CD audio is great, but I've always been wanting something more realistic.
    I really would like hi-res audio for the home first, but the speakers that came with my Kenwood HTB-504 are utter shiet. Getting a decent musical 5.1 speaker package would be over $600 (unless you know of something [​IMG]). That and I spend 1.5-3 hours in my car each day commuting back and forth from college.
    And as for that 5-watt speaker on the Pana HU, hopefully the processor can route the sound from the center to the 2 fronts instead. If not, I might just wait a while until the price drops to around $300 as you suggest.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Scott, no problem. I suppose if I spent that much time in my car each day, I might be more inclined to buy the Panasonic DVD-Audio head unit. Still, I can't help but feel that $600 is too much to spend for it. However, I will readily admit that I am not into car audio in a big way. I use a Sony CD head unit and a Sony ten-disc CD changer (neither are Mobile ES) with my Honda factory speakers. Works for me. If you don't feel that $600 will buy you something suitable for a home system, perhaps you should save it to put towards an upgrade. Just an idea. I do understand, however, that car audio is important to you, given the amount of time you spend on the road.

5. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Scott,
    I have always thought that surround sound for car audio is a great application since with fixed seating, surround placement can be properly enjoyed, and the road provides your visual stimulus so you don't feel silly sitting in one place listening to surround audio only!
    Panasonic has the right idea, absolutely. If you do decide to get the DVD-Audio car player, let us know how it is!! With your car audio equipment, I bet it would rock. [​IMG]
    -JNS